Ford dealer service with Pedal Commander installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxcap

Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding what others do when they bring their Raptor in for factory service. I have 15K miles on a 2017, and besides the standard oil change/service I was going to have the dealer perform the Transmission tech service bulletin pertaining to occasional rough shifting. Hopefully it will improve the performance, the opportunity for it to re-learn my driving, and additionally latest software.

I know that the PC is not supposed to affect anything (and it hasn't negatively for me), but wanted thoughts if you would remove it prior to service. Not that big of a deal, but already so nicely wired and secured? Logic says better be safe than sorry, But I'd much prefer to just leave it.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Fusco0520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding what others do when they bring their Raptor in for factory service. I have 15K miles on a 2017, and besides the standard oil change/service I was going to have the dealer perform the Transmission tech service bulletin pertaining to occasional rough shifting. Hopefully it will improve the performance, the opportunity for it to re-learn my driving, and additionally latest software.

I know that the PC is not supposed to affect anything (and it hasn't negatively for me), but wanted thoughts if you would remove it prior to service. Not that big of a deal, but already so nicely wired and secured? Logic says better be safe than sorry, But I'd much prefer to just leave it.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Honestly For as fast as you can remove it I would. I know my ford tech worked on my truck with mine installed and he didn’t care at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I would certainly remove it. You have an aftermarket device that alters throttle inputs and shift points/behavior and you're taking it in for transmission work.

100% what he said.

OP
OP
M

Maxcap

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback... that's what I've been thinking, but was kinda hoping someone talked me out of it. Not lazy, but that secure clip on the pedal is always a pain. Thx!

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t have anything to do with the transmission!

Pedal Commander manipulates throttle input. Throttle input influences shift behavior.

...Pedal Commander has something to do with the transmission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I do not remove it but I do take it out of the holder and hide it under the dash. One time I did not and the techs turned it to Sport+ +4 and the poor car porter had a heck of a time. Think the techs knew what it did and was ******** around with the guy.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Depends on your dealer. My dealer has been OK with my heavily modded Raptor but we both know I won't be covered on mods. I had a Rappy Graphics American Flag sticker over mine so it was hard to tell what it was unless you knew what the PC is in the first place.

I left mine on a couple of times when in for service with no issues and I agree it's a real bitch to un-clip so I don't want to mess with it and cause damage.

So I ended up removing mine and I'm not missing it. My engine is stock other than a PS res/cooler and since I'm still under warranty until 136k so I'd rather not take a chance on voiding any part of my warranty.

OP
OP
M

Maxcap

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback... definitely would miss the performance difference with the PC removed. Even when I turn it down to a lower city mode, it makes such a noticeable difference. Agreed that if I was going in for an oil change and basic service it would be nothing to worry about, but asking them to reflash the trans due to shifting issues might be a different situation. The shifting isn't really the end of the world lol, just thought that if I could get it updated (and also relearn shift patterns as my driving is much different now than it was when i first picked up the truck), it would be worth it. Iv'e taken it out a couple of times before. Sometimes it pops out no problem, other's I struggle and feel like I might break something (kinda important as it's the accelerator pedal and all). The weather is supposed to get nicer in the next day or so, and I'm going to try and ease it out, and tuck it underneath. If not maybe just get the oil service and deal with it next time.