First Oil Change & Tips/Tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys just go to your dealership!

Took mine and it was $37.07 out the door for oem oil, filter and labor.

Couldnt get me to F with it for that price lol

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up @JetDriver480

Dealer? In the amount of time it takes to drive to the dealer, I can change my O&F with the added bonus of knowing it was done right.

One thing for people in the winter salt belt, a little antisieze on the skid plate bolts and torx makes life easier long term. (Apologies if this was mentioned and I missed it.)

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up @JetDriver480

Dealer? In the amount of time it takes to drive to the dealer, I can change my O&F with the added bonus of knowing it was done right.

One thing for people in the winter salt belt, a little antisieze on the skid plate bolts and torx makes life easier long term. (Apologies if this was mentioned and I missed it.)

I guess if you do not live close to a deal than have at it. Luckily I live like 5 minutes from my closest Ford dealer.

I am too lazy to change oil in my vehicles anymore.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Just finished my first oil change. I come from the old school thinking to change it early and change it often. First change was done at 987 miles. I thought I had the drain pan mess portion figured out. Nope. Lost close to a quart on the garage floor. Next time I will have an open top bucket/pan. The drain plug was a little stiff to get started. Gently used a small pair of Channel Locks to get it started. Once started it came right out. Biggest gusher I have seen on an oil change. Dropped the access panel on the skid plate to access the oil filter. If you are using a band style filter wrench skip the access panel and just drop the whole skid plate. Access with the skid plate out of the way is much easier. I will be ordering a filter wrench that can be used with a ratchet. The band style is tough unless you have very long and skinny arms. Next change should go much smoother now that I know my way around the underside of the truck.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I read this thread and a few others.....glad I did as it helped out. But I also learned a few new things along the way. Given all the mess others had, put large piece of cardboard under the truck. Glad I did.

1. Removed front skid plate and the aluminum cover plate just to the rear of the skid plate. Only really need to take out the front skid plate, but I wanted to see all that was up under the plates….mostly curiosity.
  2. Took out the drain plug. Pic 1. Used a bucket to catch the oil and controlled flow with the drain plug. No mess on that one since with the second plate out it gave more room to get to the yellow drain plug from the side. No tools needed for me to get plug out.
  3. Used Ford Racing filter. Pics 2, 3, 4. Able to get two hands on the filter and came off without any tools.
  4. There is a plastic pan that catches any oil spilled from the oil filter. It drains to the front and the rear of the frame. On the rear side it will drain through a hole in the alum cover plate. Pic 5 (front), 6 (rear). Red circles where they drain.
  5. Here is where I made some spillage. After removing the filter, I was in no hurry to put the drain plug back in or install new filter. I put some paper towels in the plastic plan to catch any drips from the oil filter connection. All of a sudden noticed large puddle under the frame. The paper towels in the plastic catch pan were soaked. Probably got ¼ quart out just leaving filter off for about 30 minutes. So really needed two oil catch buckets/pans, or I could have put the drain plug back in before removing the filter and used the same bucket. Pic 7,8. Installed filter.

Cleaned up the mess, wiped the plastic pan out so it did not drip on driveway, installed drain plug, added Royal Purple 5W30 oil, buttoned all back up. Should be able to do it next time with no spills.

So should we be using this Ford Racing Filter as opposed to the F500S filter? I looked on the Ford Performance Site I can't find much information there. Is this part number correct CM-6731-FL820 ? It looks like they sell them in 12 packs only and there is not mention of the Raptor on the info page.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So should we be using this Ford Racing Filter as opposed to the F500S filter? I looked on the Ford Performance Site I can't find much information there. Is this part number correct CM-6731-FL820 ? It looks like they sell them in 12 packs only and there is not mention of the Raptor on the info page.

Use the stock filter or the FP replacement.....
not really going to make a world of difference. I just liked the FP one better and also used Royal Purple oil. Just my preference. Here is filter I used.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-ra...Xnxa8krur10B36x2J7uegB4y85Zk-ctxoC6KwQAvD_BwE

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up some Royal Purple as well. I like the idea of the ford performance filter, but I can't find anything that says its OK to use on the Raptor or the 3.5 L for that matter.

Last edited:

SlickMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the plastic oil pan (yellow plug), there is no Fumoto valve for it. One of the first things i did when I bought my truck 2 months ago was call and ask, and they said we are working on it, nothing yet. I couldn't get the Raptor to show up on the website vehicle selector so not sure how you did. So a couple days ago I started on my first oil change and realized I had a metal oil pan which Ford switched to sometime this year. I stopped, called Fumoto back and told them about the metal pan... Guy on the phone cross-checked the Ford part numbers with the 3.5 turbo explorer and found that the plugs were the same part number. So I ordered that, which should fit. Fumoto valve P/N F107N.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to switch from Royal purple to Mobile 1. I used the extended performance 15 K full synthetic. They do make a synthetic that they call annual protection that is supposedly good for 20 K miles. I wonder if it really makes a difference if I change it every 5-10 K anyways.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/synthetic

I was almost as confused as the last time that I was at Lowes trying to figure out what light bulb to buy.