First Oil Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Two Dogs

Reaction score
I do a pretty quick oil change (50-100 miles) just to get all the initial wear-in particles out. They can cause secondary wear, and they can also weld themselves in high pressure areas, changing clearances and causing other problems.

Then I do a 3,000-mile oil change to see how the engine's breaking-in and whether the oil's doing well or not. If things look good, I extend my oil change interval to 5,000 miles, otherwise I keep it at 3,000 miles until I can find an oil that performs well. If things still look good at 5,000 miles, then I'll extend to 7,500 miles (or shorter if the on-board computer recommends less).

I send samples of my used oil to a lab and have a tribologist help interpret the results, so yeah, I geek out a little bit on it. :)
Which lab?

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do a pretty quick oil change (50-100 miles) just to get all the initial wear-in particles out. They can cause secondary wear, and they can also weld themselves in high pressure areas, changing clearances and causing other problems.

Then I do a 3,000-mile oil change to see how the engine's breaking-in and whether the oil's doing well or not. If things look good, I extend my oil change interval to 5,000 miles, otherwise I keep it at 3,000 miles until I can find an oil that performs well. If things still look good at 5,000 miles, then I'll extend to 7,500 miles (or shorter if the on-board computer recommends less).

I send samples of my used oil to a lab and have a tribologist help interpret the results, so yeah, I geek out a little bit on it. :)

Just curious. How long do you plan on keeping your vehicles?

sobiloff

Reaction score
Just curious. How long do you plan on keeping your vehicles?

As long as I can! :) I got 13 years out of my SUV, and was hoping to get 20 out of my F-250, but some life changes have me trading that in for a Raptor. I'd love to get 20+ years out of the Raptor.

(Yes, sending your oil to a lab probably isn't cost effective if you're leasing or planning on selling it before the warranty's up.)