First Oil Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With such short intervals and full synthetic, I've stuck with motorcraft.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the oil, but the filter that is stock on a new engine is slightly larger than the OE replacement.

I just changed my oil at 250 miles to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and here's the difference in filter size between the OEM and the Motorcraft FL500S mentioned by pjones.

The FL500S is definitely not the production filter. Tough to tell exactly what the production filter is by just looks but it is very similar to a Mann+Hummel / Purolator filter based off the height and shape of the fluted cap.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you worried that there may be some engine damage from the 250 miles you drove with the oil that Ford engineers picked for it?

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above! Keep in mind that the synthetic oil's benefit is longevity. Synthetics do not show appreciable improvements in lubrication. Because of the uniformity of esters however the longevity of the oil is markedly improved. There are additives that prevent sludge formation, and keep dirt suspended in all oils. These are increased in synthetic oils to keep the oil contamination suspended for the life of the oil.
Changing synthetic oils earlier than recommended provides no benefit to the engine or your wallet. Changing oil every 3,000 miles was important once upon a time when the oil would break down rapidly, and the additives would only keep the contaminants suspended that long. Today most synthetic oils last a minimum of 7,000 miles; changing oil before then benefits only the oil companies and retailers that distribute the oils. And possibly your insecurities.
I can remember changing and gapping spark plugs and reusing the clean ones every 10,000 miles....now the plugs are recommended to be changed every 75,000, to 90,000 miles. You can change them earlier, but will realize no benefit. You can change your tires at 50% tread wear too...
Just my 2 cents..
Eddie
ps I change my oil and filter every 7,500 miles!

drjbeyer

Reaction score
Isn't the recommended oil change every 10K? That's what my computer is saying the interval is until the next (first) change...

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the way the new rubber smell fills my garage. Told my wife I think I'll change the tires once that smell goes away. She has no idea what new BFGs cost so I think I'm good!

you can always go to the old stand by: "what these?, naw, i've had these forever". Works every time!

sobiloff

Reaction score
I do a pretty quick oil change (50-100 miles) just to get all the initial wear-in particles out. They can cause secondary wear, and they can also weld themselves in high pressure areas, changing clearances and causing other problems.

Then I do a 3,000-mile oil change to see how the engine's breaking-in and whether the oil's doing well or not. If things look good, I extend my oil change interval to 5,000 miles, otherwise I keep it at 3,000 miles until I can find an oil that performs well. If things still look good at 5,000 miles, then I'll extend to 7,500 miles (or shorter if the on-board computer recommends less).

I send samples of my used oil to a lab and have a tribologist help interpret the results, so yeah, I geek out a little bit on it. :)