First Oil Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a do the first oil change at 1000 miles guy for break in (don't mean to start a war on whether this is a good thing or totally unnecessary, I know the opinions on this vary widely) and I am a do my own oil changes kinda guy.

Was wondering if anyone had done it yet and if there was anything unique to watch out for?

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil filter might be a bitch to remove the first time. Be cautious...

OP
OP
T

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they usually are on so tight! Almost always the case with first oil changes.

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil filter might be a bitch to remove the first time. Be cautious...

I think Ford has become aware of this and has changed their assembly line procedure. I talked to a local Ford dealer techie, and he said the latest ones he has done were only hand tight.
Also, you have to remove a plate from the front skid shield (5 T-40 bolts) to access the oil filter, and remove a small piece from an underbelly shield (3 10mm bolts) to access the drain plug. The drain plug is on the pass. side, and is a yellow plastic 1/4 turn item, no wrench required (maybe a pair of pliers).

OP
OP
T

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good news. Will probably do it this weekend and will let you know!

OP
OP
T

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of notes...the filter was as tight as ever for first oil changes, needed a wrench. The new drain plug that 1phatstang mentioned is very interesting, just used to an old metal plug you wrench out...but beware, the oil came out much much faster than normal and made a huge mess for me. Kind of a pain having extra bolts to get to the drain plug and to get to the filter compared to the '14, but its not a big deal. The rest is like it was before.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of notes...the filter was as tight as ever for first oil changes, needed a wrench. The new drain plug that 1phatstang mentioned is very interesting, just used to an old metal plug you wrench out...but beware, the oil came out much much faster than normal and made a huge mess for me. Kind of a pain having extra bolts to get to the drain plug and to get to the filter compared to the '14, but its not a big deal. The rest is like it was before.

Could you just drop the whole skid plate? I always did that on my Gen 1 when I changed the oil as opposed to opening that little door....

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This sounds like it could have gone horribly wrong. Glad you're still alive, did we go with 5w 20 or 5w 30?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter