Anyone heard any V8 ecoboost rumors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one gets triggered, it's just that the same discussion gets old... and the same chuckleheads show up in each thread, spouting the same points that have been made time and again. Throw in a few "your mom" and "snowflake" comments, and there's your GenII V8 thread. Enjoy.
Who is actually forcing you to click on said threads that you supposedly get tired of?

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. There's a reason V6 powered supercars are rare. They suck.

And Ford has been very vocal that V8s will continue to be developed for both the Mustang and F-150.

And in case you haven't heard, they have a brand new dual overhead cam 7.0 liter V8 in the works. Rumor is it's slated for the Raptor. Now that would be an exciting machine with an engine that actually makes sense for the application.

Ford is continuing to make V8s for F150 and Mustang....true but it wont be there major part of there sales volume like it was in the past. V8 sales in 2010 were 95% of the sales volume for the F150. Today over 60% of the F150 truck sales are V6 variants...people have the choice of any powertrain option and yet most still choose the Ecoboost V6.

7.0 is made for superduty/chassis cab. It wont be in the F150. No rumors here fact.

Do you work with Ford powertrain daily on current and future programs? Just curious because you seem to know more then someone that actually does.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of the original buyers of the XJ demanded their deposits back when Jag dropped the 12 for a 6.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

A big NA V8 would be much more reliable off-road.

Ford did plenty of off road testing and it's not like turbos have never been a reliable application off road. Race cars, sand cars, and other off road trucks and buggies have had plenty of success with turbos. Of course most people would prefer a v8; I would. But like others, I'll pick whatever the fastest and most powerful.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford is continuing to make V8s for F150 and Mustang....true but it wont be there major part of there sales volume like it was in the past. V8 sales in 2010 were 95% of the sales volume for the F150. Today over 60% of the F150 truck sales are V6 variants...people have the choice of any powertrain option and yet most still choose the Ecoboost V6.

7.0 is made for superduty/chassis cab. It wont be in the F150. No rumors here fact.

Do you work with Ford powertrain daily on current and future programs? Just curious because you seem to know more then someone that actually does.

You literally just said V8s were dead, my friend. Did you not?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Ford did plenty of off road testing and it's not like turbos have never been a reliable application off road. Race cars, sand cars, and other off road trucks and buggies have had plenty of success with turbos. Of course most people would prefer a v8; I would. But like others, I'll pick whatever the fastest and most powerful.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

It's just not something I see a lot of in the off-road world, excluding rally cars of course. I'm glad you're happy with your truck. I think they are great trucks. I'm just not a fan of the engine. I didn't come in here to insult the Gen 2. I'm just here to correct the fake news being reported about Ford's lack of commitment to developing and offering V8 engines in the Mustang and F150. That's just not up for debate, at least not according to Ford.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You literally just said V8s were dead, my friend. Did you not?

Dead in the aspect of new power train development into passenger cars. The new 4.8l is only coming out as its smaller packaging space vs the 5.0l coyote. The 5.0 coyote is physically huge and takes up a lot of under hood real estate.

This is no different then ford replacing the 3.5l TIVT with the 3.3L TIVCT as its smaller to package, lighter weight, and uses less fuel.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dead in the aspect of new power train development into passenger cars. The new 4.8l is only coming out as its smaller packaging space vs the 5.0l coyote. The 5.0 coyote is physically huge and takes up a lot of under hood real estate.

This is no different then ford replacing the 3.5l TIVT with the 3.3L TIVCT as its smaller to package, lighter weight, and uses less fuel.

I agree that Ford made a mistake a long time ago moving away from the inherently more efficient OHV platform but they are way too far down the road to fix that one now.

As for Ford's passenger cars, I don't know anything about them and have no interest in them. The only Fords I am interested in are the F series and the Mustang. And the Bronco if they make it and it doesn't look like an Australian jelly bean. Back to the point, the V8 is not dead in the F150 or the Mustang. Far from it, at least according to Ford. And if you have some insider knowledge and know otherwise, so be it. I don't believe there has ever been a time in history where more manufacturers offered V8 engines. Even a lot of the foreign ones (you know, the companies that numb skulls used to point to when they claimed the V8 was dead).

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that Ford made a mistake a long time ago moving away from the inherently more efficient OHV platform but they are way too far down the road to fix that one now.

As for Ford's passenger cars, I don't know anything about them and have no interest in them. The only Fords I am interested in are the F series and the Mustang. And the Bronco if they make it and it doesn't look like an Australian jelly bean. Back to the point, the V8 is not dead in the F150 or the Mustang. Far from it, at least according to Ford. And if you have some insider knowledge and know otherwise, so be it. I don't believe there has ever been a time in history where more manufacturers offered V8 engines. Even a lot of the foreign ones (you know, the companies that numb skulls used to point to when they claimed the V8 was dead).

OHV NA motor is more efficient in Highway, and some driving scenarios. But Ford builds vehicles to meet the EPA fuel mileage test specifications...and the ecoboost technology is made to get the best fuel mileage under the blanket of EPA testing that is done vs a NA motor.

GM has been anti boosted motors in trucks too...they have a small motor (going to shock everyone) going into the new Silverado/Sierra.

FCA is doing the same thing with there 2.0l turbo. the Big 3 are trying to replace V8s with V6s, and V6s are being replaced with I4 turbo setups. Ford doesnt offer a V6 any longer in the Fusion only 3 I4s.

The 2009-10 F150 had 3 V8 options
The 2011-14 F150 Had 2 V8s options 2 V6 options
The 2015-19 F150 Has 1 V8 option 3 V6 options

There seems to be a trend here.

The 2007-13 Silverados had 3 V8 options
The 2014-18 Silverados Have 2 V8 options and a V6 option
The 18.5 Silverado will be a surprise

Last edited:

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OHV NA motor is more efficient in Highway, and some driving scenarios. But Ford builds vehicles to meet the EPA fuel mileage test specifications...and the ecoboost technology is made to get the best fuel mileage under the blanket of EPA testing that is done vs a NA motor.

GM has been anti boosted motors in trucks too...they have a small motor (going to shock everyone) going into the new Silverado/Sierra.

FCA is doing the same thing with there 2.0l turbo. the Big 3 are trying to replace V8s with V6s, and V6s are being replaced with I4 turbo setups. Ford doesnt offer a V6 any longer in the Fusion only 3 I4s.

The 2009-10 F150 had 3 V8 options
The 2011-14 F150 Had 2 V8s options 2 V6 options
The 2015-19 F150 Has 1 V8 option 3 V6 options

There seems to be a trend here.

The 2007-13 Silverados had 3 V8 options
The 2014-18 Silverados Have 2 V8 options and a V6 option
The 18.5 Silverado will be a surprise

Well put.