2018 Tailgate Appliqué headache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billybob454ss

Reaction score
I ordered a 2018 Raptor lightning blue screw at the time I told the salesman to add the appliqué to my options some how the salesman deleted the appliqué.
So my truck came in without the appliqué.....
Now he tells me he’s gonna order the appliqué and have service install it ...
I read on the forum you can’t just add the appliqué to a standard tailgate ,he insisted they can do it ..
Long story short I ended up picking up the truck we the appliqué in my back seat....
So now I’m gonna install the appliqué to my tailgate with double sided tape and epoxy .i buy a Dremel and spend hours grinding the tabs off the back of the appliqué..
I take my tailgate off the night before bring it in my house to warm it up so the double sided tape would adhere well...
I try a dry install to see how it looks ,turns out the appliqué doesn’t match the lines of my tailgate......
I’m wondering if there is anyone that would trade tailgates ,I know some guys don’t like the appliqué.....

Last edited:

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The applique is not just a piece of plastic that's stuck on the tailgate.....the metal itself is completely different to integrate the plastic....your salesman is ignorant (no offense).....the dealer should order a new tailgate assembly and install it for you.....that's how it should be rectified.....

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For 2018, the applique is the default. So when you told your salesman's to add it, what he really did was to uncheck the default and so he removed the default option. Just have him order a new tailgate with the applique.

OP
OP
Billybob454ss

Billybob454ss

Reaction score
I should have never left that dealer that day without settling the problem ....
I figured I would just do the install myself
Now I’m stuck the appliqué that’s garbage to me

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Even if he orders a new tailgate the appliqué that they gave me is useless.....
I think I’m gonna have to go over the salesman’s head and speak to the manager ...

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have never left that dealer that day without settling the problem ....
I figured I would just do the install myself
Now I’m stuck the appliqué that’s garbage to me

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Even if he orders a new tailgate the appliqué that they gave me is useless.....
I think I’m gonna have to go over the salesman’s head and speak to the manager ...

They will for sure give you push back. Hope you have something in writing that details the mistake. The tailgate for the appliqués has holes drilled in it for install. Settle for nothing less than a complete tailgate if you decide to push the issue.

Honestly it isn’t the end of the world

OP
OP
Billybob454ss

Billybob454ss

Reaction score
I have everything in emails ... I didn’t push the issue because they sold me the truck at MSRP ...I ordered it from a dealer from upstate New York the dealers by my we’re getting 10,000 -12000 over sticker ......

NES431

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. They did the tailgate applique delete during the order. I caught it. They said they fixed it (BUT DIDN'T). I had documentation that showed they screwed up. They said they thought they could get the right tailgate but I didn't trust that the same knuckleheads that couldn't get my order right could match it correctly. (Plus my window sticker wouldn't have matched my truck) I REFUSED delivery. Try and deal with at least the GM at your dealership, a sales manager won't do squat for you. If need be contact the owner, that seems to get their attention. They ordered me a new truck and put me to the front of the line for their allocations and compensated me financially. Sucked that I had to wait two months for a new truck but when you're spending that kind of money you should get it the way you ordered it. Good luck.