Toyo vs cooper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running the Cooper ST Maxx for about 10K miles. So far I really like them a lot. Low noise, aggressive, and good in rain and snow.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a raptor friend to a raptor friend this is not a judgement, just my thoughts. In no way is this negative.

I love the looks and traction of the toyos, baddest tire out there. However, they are heavy, loud and will affect braking/acceleration and fuel mileage.

To some this does not matter, to some it's worth the losses for the offroad gains. If your keeping it on the street I suggest looking at some more aggressive all terrain tires.

Why you all ask? I love getting off the road, I love driving in snow and dirt roads etc, I've never had more fun than silver lake dunes all done on the stock bfg's. I just can't get offroad enough to justify spending the money.

We all need new tires at one point and pay up, but if you're concerned or interested in saving $100 on a set of tires then going to all terrain might be a fees able option.

The toyos will easily drop 1-2 mpg immediately. Take that over the course of a year or two or three strictly or mostly on pavement and you're spending significant amounts of extra money over time for no gains aside from looks.

You will be stomping the brakes and gas harder every time due to tires. To me a lightweight tire is important for all of these reasons simply because it's my dd and I'm privileged to take it offroad a few times a year, in the meantime my tires are excellent getting to my snowmobile spots, the cottage and to work in all weather conditions.

I pay $165-180 a week to fill it up, I can't imagine having to do it more often with bigger tires without justifying it.

This all said tires are a personal decision, everyone has different opinions and uses tires for different terrains. I also agree they need to look good which is important to me too but at this stage of my life practical takes over from looks right now when it comes to something that will remain on the vehicle for potentially years and effect the cost of use. Noise is a large factor for me as well, when I'm traveling 3-8 hours on the highway to go sledding, traveling to Florida (34 hrs) or when I do have a child and going to the in laws for 2 hrs it gets to me after time and like a semi quiet peaceful cab.

Just something to think about when making a decision.

I'm a fan of bfg
My next "summer tire" will most likely be the bfg ko2
My next winter will be the bfg ko2 or duratrack.

Sounds like you may consider the exo grappler and like minded tires, aggressive but not overboard.

Disclaimer, I am in no way trying to sway you away, just helping everybody to think outside the box if they're on the fence.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good point CP Raptor. Some folks can't justify spending extra $$ on a tire yet have no issues with running a tire that is 20 pounds heavier than stock so the end result is they spend $$ at every fuel stop.

Life is full of ironies.

BTW ... I think the stock Raptor tires are horrible. I have run BFGs before on other trucks and they are fine but for whatever reason on a Raptor, it is just down right dangerous in the wet. I run Duratracs now and they are a VERY GOOD all around tire for all conditions. And the bonus is that they are lighter than the stock BFGs. :)

Last edited:

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coopers! I have a little over 12,000 on them and I love them. Made in America as well.
9f09dbce4cf09bcd1f7c2eed1eab4a95.jpg

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From a raptor friend to a raptor friend this is not a judgement, just my thoughts. In no way is this negative.

I love the looks and traction of the toyos, baddest tire out there. However, they are heavy, loud and will affect braking/acceleration and fuel mileage.

To some this does not matter, to some it's worth the losses for the offroad gains. If your keeping it on the street I suggest looking at some more aggressive all terrain tires.

Why you all ask? I love getting off the road, I love driving in snow and dirt roads etc, I've never had more fun than silver lake dunes all done on the stock bfg's. I just can't get offroad enough to justify spending the money.

We all need new tires at one point and pay up, but if you're concerned or interested in saving $100 on a set of tires then going to all terrain might be a fees able option.

The toyos will easily drop 1-2 mpg immediately. Take that over the course of a year or two or three strictly or mostly on pavement and you're spending significant amounts of extra money over time for no gains aside from looks.

You will be stomping the brakes and gas harder every time due to tires. To me a lightweight tire is important for all of these reasons simply because it's my dd and I'm privileged to take it offroad a few times a year, in the meantime my tires are excellent getting to my snowmobile spots, the cottage and to work in all weather conditions.

I pay $165-180 a week to fill it up, I can't imagine having to do it more often with bigger tires without justifying it.

This all said tires are a personal decision, everyone has different opinions and uses tires for different terrains. I also agree they need to look good which is important to me too but at this stage of my life practical takes over from looks right now when it comes to something that will remain on the vehicle for potentially years and effect the cost of use. Noise is a large factor for me as well, when I'm traveling 3-8 hours on the highway to go sledding, traveling to Florida (34 hrs) or when I do have a child and going to the in laws for 2 hrs it gets to me after time and like a semi quiet peaceful cab.

Just something to think about when making a decision.

I'm a fan of bfg
My next "summer tire" will most likely be the bfg ko2
My next winter will be the bfg ko2 or duratrack.

Sounds like you may consider the exo grappler and like minded tires, aggressive but not overboard.

Disclaimer, I am in no way trying to sway you away, just helping everybody to think outside the box if they're on the fence.

Rockin Toyo Open Country MT's for the last year and they have been in the Rubicon, fire trails, mud, dirt but no snow yet, thats next week. They are phenomenal for traction and wear great. I agree completely. They aren't loud in our truck due to sound deadening. Next set will most likely be 37" BFG KO2's though as well. After seeing this I was sold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-mSQDOBmh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnbYCgRbPX4#t=66

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking in to bfg. If you buy the ones from a hummer, same size but different rubber they are waaaay better. I have bothe on wheels for salt and no salt season, the raptor version are also much louder.