Toyo AT II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that off road in the sand they are similar to the BFG's. On the road, straight line traction is as good or better than the BFG's. High speed handling is where I noticed a slight difference. I have 50psi in the tires and they still feel less responsive than the stock tires. Or it may just be the fact that the tires have more tread. I'm getting use to it and it's not a big deal. Haven't driven in the rain yet and they are a little louder. Overall, I love the look of the tire and the performance is very similar to the stock tires. I'll buy them again.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say that off road in the sand they are similar to the BFG's. On the road, straight line traction is as good or better than the BFG's. High speed handling is where I noticed a slight difference. I have 50psi in the tires and they still feel less responsive than the stock tires. Or it may just be the fact that the tires have more tread. I'm getting use to it and it's not a big deal. Haven't driven in the rain yet and they are a little louder. Overall, I love the look of the tire and the performance is very similar to the stock tires. I'll buy them again.

Sold... Thanks!

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you very much for the details.

This forum does not seem to notify me of responses too well so I am just seeing this now, but this helps out big time.

Please keep me posted once tested in the Wet stuff ok.

OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyo tire pressure

****Update on tire pressure****

I did some math and...
- the stock BFG's have a load rating of 3,195 @ 50psi
at the stock 44psi, the load rating is 2,820
- the Toyo AT II have a load rating of 3,195 @ 65psi
at 57psi, the load rating is 2,850

I wanted to keep the load rating the same as stock and to do so, my conclusion was that I needed more PSI. I assume the Toyo's need more air because they are a little wider and taller than the BFG's. (more volume to fill) So I went from 50psi to 57psi and now the high speed handling and response has greatly improved just like it was stock!!!

So for those with Toyo's that want the same high speed handling as the stock BFG's, you might need more air pressure!

As of 6/15/14 I have these tires back down to 50psi cold. 57psi, 55psi were too much and the truck was riding too rough.

***********7/28/14 with almost 5,000 miles on the tires they are down to 46psi and 44-46psi is what I'd recommend.***********

Last edited:

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****Update on tire pressure****

I did some math and...
- the stock BFG's have a load rating of 3,195 @ 50psi
at the stock 44psi, the load rating is 2,820
- the Toyo AT II have a load rating of 3,195 @ 65psi
at 57psi, the load rating is 2,850

I wanted to keep the load rating the same as stock and to do so, my conclusion was that I needed more PSI. I assume the Toyo's need more air because they are a little wider and taller than the BFG's. (more volume to fill) So I went from 50psi to 57psi and now the high speed handling and response has greatly improved just like it was stock!!!

So for those with Toyo's that want the same high speed handling as the stock BFG's, you might need more air pressure!

Awesome, thanks. I just hope that does not = faster wear or rounded off edges due to having that much more PSI over what the truck says to run...but I understand that's for the BFGs.

OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep an eye on how they are wearing and give you an update. Going to Big Bend this weekend so I'll put a little over 1k miles at the current air pressure. On the BFG's I kept them at 44psi and rotated every 5k miles. They wore fairly even with slightly more wear in the center but not enough to be concerned.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep an eye on how they are wearing and give you an update. Going to Big Bend this weekend so I'll put a little over 1k miles at the current air pressure. On the BFG's I kept them at 44psi and rotated every 5k miles. They wore fairly even with slightly more wear in the center but not enough to be concerned.

Hey man...quick follow up...b/c trying to make this decision is literally killing me lol...are your Toyo's the Extreme Model? Can't remember if you have the 35/12.5-20s or 325-60-20s....One is Extreme and one is regular Toyo's Trail AT IIs, but I guess less plys...

I am just concerned about riding around on bricks b/c to get these things to handle well, and not be sloppy or mushy on off/on ramps and around corners they need to be pumped up so much ya know...

OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are 35x12.5 17 and say extreme on the side. Even at 57psi I wouldn't say the ride is any harsher than stock. If you're going with 20inch wheels they will handle better at high speeds because you'll have less sidewall, I wouldn't worry about that. I'm still playing with the air pressure. They did great on the way to Big Bend at 57psi. I aired them down to 44psi hot when we went on the trails. So far they are equal or better than stock in every aspect. I still haven't had the chance to drive in the rain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RaptorVette

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires held up great in Big Bend, no signs of wear and 57psi was perfect for averaging 90mph for 500 miles of highway driving each way!

Last edited:

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires held up great in Big Bend, no signs of wear and 57psi was perfect for averaging 90mph for 500 miles of highway driving each way!

20140502_152415.jpg

20140502_130729.jpg

How do you like the Mid Perch setting up front vs. Stock?

Did you do anything to rear suspension or just stock?

So after having them now for a bit...scale of 1-10 with OEM BFGs being a 7 let's say...where do you rate the Toyo AT IIs?