Open end lug nuts for methods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJA1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Does anyone know who makes a short, black, open end, spline, small diameter lug nut for method wheels? All i can find is chrome.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Does anyone know who makes a short, black, open end, spline, small diameter lug nut for method wheels? All i can find is chrome.

99% of lug companies won't make open end black lugs since they're usually going underneath a cover cap. I've powder coated lugs before but you have to be gentle with them. No impact guns or they will chip

D

Deleted member 12951

Check summit racing

But curious, why does someone rather have open end, what is the advantage?

OP
OP
B

BAJA1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only positive is they are half the length. Although minimal, half the weight. They sit flush with the wheel stud and do not stick out as far as the longer closed ended nut.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I buffed some lug nuts to make sure they were clean then I used a black oxide kit to make them black. the kit was like $40 on ebay. Works great on steel.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only positive is they are half the length. Although minimal, half the weight. They sit flush with the wheel stud and do not stick out as far as the longer closed ended nut.

I can understand the flush thing, but an ounce rotating mass saving on a 100+lbs tire+wheel combo that's just a stretch too far in terms of ROI.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran the gorilla ones and had them powder coated black..... they lasted a while but eventually got all chipped up.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Summit has some short narrow acorn open lugs, but they're not black. I think it cost me like 8 bucks for 30 of them.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Check summit racing

But curious, why does someone rather have open end, what is the advantage?

Probably not the reason the OP wants them, but some racing sanctions want open end lugs so they can easily check the threads and make sure they're tightened down, and then also some require a cotter pin/twist wired through the bolt as well, which cannot be done with a closed end lug.