New BFG T/A KO2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After taking a look at the specs, the reason for the increase in weight is that 35" size is now an "E" rated tire, vs the previous "D" rating. They list the 37" as a "D" and it is lighter than the 35.

I just finally checked these out and that's the 2nd thing I looked for after seeing that apparently ALL the sizes will get the vaunted Snow Flake rating...and I was so pi$$ed when I saw the E rating.

The E rating is the one thing that keeps me from giving the Cooper ST Maxx's a 5 star rating...just TOO harsh over bumps and thus you get bump steer going around a corner when hitting imperfections vs. the OEM D rateds BFGs that you can steer using your pinky...and yeah, I am riding on 20s, but there is still SO much sidewall I have to blame it on the E rating.

Also SHOCKED no OEM Raptor Metric sizing and even more shocked that the 35s are NOT out until the end of next spring...NOT November like anticipated. Sucks all around.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I love how the Exo Grapplers (like the KO2s) say 0 fitment for your Raptor, but then have an actual Raptor Gallery (Minus the FORD in the Grill) with 3 pics showing the tires on the OEM rims...lol...but of course GD E rated tires again...

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

You are overthinking it. 37" BFG's work fine on a Raptor with mid perch and minimal trimming (if any). You will have no problems with the 35/12.5R17 even if it is a true 35" tire

35/12.5 tires are NOT a true 35" tall so you are 100% correct, and I have ridden over it all with my 35-12.5-20s and not one rub or issue...full turns, etc.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finally checked these out and that's the 2nd thing I looked for after seeing that apparently ALL the sizes will get the vaunted Snow Flake rating...and I was so pi$$ed when I saw the E rating.

The E rating is the one thing that keeps me from giving the Cooper ST Maxx's a 5 star rating...just TOO harsh over bumps and thus you get bump steer going around a corner when hitting imperfections vs. the OEM D rateds BFGs that you can steer using your pinky...and yeah, I am riding on 20s, but there is still SO much sidewall I have to blame it on the E rating.

Also SHOCKED no OEM Raptor Metric sizing and even more shocked that the 35s are NOT out until the end of next spring...NOT November like anticipated. Sucks all around.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I love how the Exo Grapplers (like the KO2s) say 0 fitment for your Raptor, but then have an actual Raptor Gallery (Minus the FORD in the Grill) with 3 pics showing the tires on the OEM rims...lol...but of course GD E rated tires again...

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

35/12.5 tires are NOT a true 35" tall so you are 100% correct, and I have ridden over it all with my 35-12.5-20s and not one rub or issue...full turns, etc.

I would venture to say he's talking about a 'true' 35/12.5/x" tire instead of a 315/70/17 which mathematically works out to a 34.4 instead of 35" which mathematically works out to a...wait for it...35".

You ever responded respectfully or nicely to a post? Giving those NE folks a bad rap...

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would venture to say he's talking about a 'true' 35/12.5/x" tire instead of a 315/70/17 which mathematically works out to a 34.4 instead of 35" which mathematically works out to a...wait for it...35".

You ever responded respectfully or nicely to a post? Giving those NE folks a bad rap...

I know it's 3 hrs ahead out here and I should be in bed, and maybe I'm tired and missing something...but...when have I ever NOT responded with respect? And how is telling someone they are 100% correct like I did in your quoted post disrespectful and here is what Nitto said...wait for it...right on their website about their...wait for it again...35" tire's true height...are you still waiting for it...

35x12.50R17LT E = 34.76" Overall Height & 12.52" Overall Width :Nonono:

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's 3 hrs ahead out here and I should be in bed, and maybe I'm tired and missing something...but...when have I ever NOT responded with respect? And how is telling someone they are 100% correct like I did in your quoted post disrespectful and here is what Nitto said...wait for it...right on their website about their...wait for it again...35" tire's true height...are you still waiting for it...

35x12.50R17LT E = 34.76" Overall Height & 12.52" Overall Width :Nonono:

It is late I confused you with the member Boss Hoss, my bad he just is always on my nerves. Mea Culpa amigo

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mathematic conversions don't mean shit in the automotive world, exact specs are always different from advertised specs, technically 90% of "35"s" are not true 35"s, go to Toyo's website and look up their claimed by everyone on this website "true" 35", it's 34.8", yeah it's close, but it's still really not a 35" tire

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22.56 % of all statistics are inaccurate 95.43% of the time! It's true...really.

On the serious side, I have many years of experience with the BFG AT and the BFG mud terrain living up here in Montana and getting out on dirt roads . All of my vehicles have worn BFGs. Unless your towing, or heavy hauling in the bed , I would agree that the E rated sidewalls run stiff an have a negative effect on carcass flex that soaks up a lot of the sharp impacts off road and also can affect traction . I like the softer compound and the D sidewall of the stock Raptor tires compared to all of my other ATs.

Another great tire for all around is the BFG. Mud Terrain tire ( old style) that I have siped when new. Great carcass and great traction in the dirt and snow and ice and mud. The siping does make them chunck a bit more than stock but man does it grip in the ice and dirt.
I get great mileage out of them as well.

Last edited:

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why OEMs don't sipe more...or offer two kinds...Good to know though and thanks for the info/feedback.

I emailed BFG the same day I last replied on this thread and never heard a word back from them...

I definitely want my winter tire in a D rating...I am all set with the E rated Coopers I have for the late spring/summer/early fall, but that nice D rated ride is hard to beat.