mickey thompson baja mtz!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reyesahr

Reaction score
This past weekend while doing some trailriding i slipped into a rut behind some jeep and soon realized that my bfg all terain tires weren't going to do. I am considering mickey thompson baja mtz to travers texas diverse terain. What to you guys think?

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm considering the same tires -

71aq4xb7eHL._SL1200_.jpg

I have Duratracs right now and will need new shoes prior to SnoBall 3. I am entertaining different ideas.

I'm looking at the Mickey Baja MTZ
Treadwright Guard Dog (?) - Buddy has and swears by them
Guarddog500x500new_1.png

Duratracs again

Thoughts and any members that sell/ship these tires?

Last edited:

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Guard Dog has an exact duplicate tread pattern of the old style MTR's and those tires absolutely sucked in the wet. They were OK in the rocks on my Jeep, but the slightest bit of water and traction was gone.

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in hearing about peoples experience with MT tires (all models) ....looking at pulling the trigger on some as well (not this model)

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the baja mtz's on my Jeeps for quite awhile, they are awesome in the mud and wear fairly well on the Jeep. They do have a bit of a howl (not bad, but it is there). Hard to go wrong with these in my opinion, but I have not had them on my Raptor.

Sdholland

Reaction score
I have the Toyo Open Country M/Ts on my truck. 25,000 rough miles later and they are still holding up amazingly. They seem to get ahold of anything they come in contact with. I switched back to my A/Ts this summer and felt disappointed.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Mickey thompsons. Had them on my platinum. 35x12.5-20's. Loved those tires. Definatly getting them when my stock bfgs are worn out.

--John

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@shooterAMG

^ Todd ran these during last years Snoball Pre-Run and Snoball in addition to plenty of off-roading. I'm sure he will chime in.

Personally, I'm a Toyo M/T die hard.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The MTZ is a nice tire, I ran them on my first set of Methods.... Light @ 68lbs, 8/3ply, and semi aggressive sidewall lugs. Their 35" offering is slightly narrower than other tires of that size tho, so visually that was bothersome to me.

I did kill one, but most tires* would have netted the same result striking a buried steel fence post. Aside from that, I think it's the more durable MT in the sub-70lb range.

* Most Tires does not incl Toyo Mt's ;) disclaimer, i preech and drink the toyo coolaid too, for good reason.