High Speed Rating Mud Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jalberson

Reaction score
Guys,

I've got a 2012 Crew Cab that I had Hennessey add the 600 package to when I first bought it. Other than that no modifications. Truck gets used hard as a daily driver, running oilfield dirt and lease roads, around farm, hunting, etc.
The problem I have is I ran the stock BFGs until I wore them out. They were a great tire on the road for me, had them up to 130 mph with no concern (live in Texas with lots of straight back roads :)), regularly ran 90 mph on long trips working, however they were horrible in the mud and packed up easily. As you know the stock BFGs either have a S (112 mph) or R (106 mph)speed rating (I cant recall which).
With that in mind I bought my current set of tires which are Hankook DynaPro MTs at the same 315 / 70-17. These tires have been great in the mud, at work, etc however they are pretty squirrely at highway speeds (80 mph+). The speed rating on them is Q (99 mph) so I thought it wasn't going to be an issue unless I was really pushing them however it is. My biggest problem is they really tend to roll bad at speed around curves limiting the trucks abilities.
So my question to yall. What is a good tire with similar tread / grip to the Hankooks but has a higher speed rating / better handling at speed in line with the BFGs?

Thanks

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs are rated Q but as stable or better than stock BFGs at speed.

OP
OP
J

jalberson

Reaction score

Don't think that 130 is my normal speed. Ive only my truck there twice. My point was even at that speed the BFGs were stable and responsive. The Hankooks however get pretty bad over 80 particularly in curves. The worst is the interchanges in Houston...the difference in roll is phenomenal compared to the BFGs. I was able to take them as fast I wanted to with the BFGs while with the Hankooks anything over 70 gets scary.

Obviously Speed Rating is a quantitative way to compare them but its obviously not very qualitative as the Hankook "fails" below its rating while the BFG "passes" at or above it rating.

Therefore my question is...the Goodyears....in curves at speed do they provide the same or better handling than the BFGs in yalls opinion?

Thanks

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, better tire in all respects in my opinion. Add a Hellwig rear anti sway bar then really hit some corners.

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to add my two cents in and recommend the toyo open county mt or rt, personally the best truck tire I've ever owned, heaviest tire as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juice

Reaction score
This is a great question. I noticed the same things about the Hankooks. The Toyo M/T's have a stiffer sidewall and I could push them to higher speeds on the dually, say over 85mph. The Toyo's are just expensive and not light.

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right they are expensive and often on backorder, but I happen to know the fact stands the toyo open county mt is the fastest tire offroad.

I had the front tire blow on me because I was too lazy to air up at the end of the trail. Anyways while going 85 in traffic in southern California, I lost my front tire, I was able to safely slowly casually almost pull over and off the highway. A good half mile riding on the flat tire, not a scratch to my rim and not a scratch to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BFG KO2's are what I'm running now. Zero roll at 40 psi. Zero noise. Zero issues.

But, keep in mind that excessive speeds with our weight, you are asking for trouble with any off-road-type tire. I get real nervous about losing a tire at any speeds over 85-90 mph for a prolonged duration. They build up a lot of heat at those speeds......

Just my $.02

Good luck with your search!!!