Cooper Discoverer ATP anyone have them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdgeR6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just under 46k on my truck while there is still a little bit of life in the original BFG's they are failing, one has a patch and I'm airing up every 3 weeks or so. This is a bit of dry rot in between the tread.
Been looking at the Coopers
Tire Details - Discount Tire

I do all types of driving. Playing on dirt roads, playing in the snow, spirited runs threw mts, and I also tow.

All the ratings and everthing are fine but just looking for anyone who has first hand experience.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just under 46k on my truck while there is still a little bit of life in the original BFG's they are failing, one has a patch and I'm airing up every 3 weeks or so. This is a bit of dry rot in between the tread.
Been looking at the Coopers
Tire Details - Discount Tire

I do all types of driving. Playing on dirt roads, playing in the snow, spirited runs threw mts, and I also tow.

All the ratings and everthing are fine but just looking for anyone who has first hand experience.

I remember seeing these when I purchased new tires last fall. The price is great, but they weren't quite aggressive enough for me. One other thing I noticed is that the tread doesn't appear to extend all the way to the edge of the tire which might look "skinny" once on the truck.

I know several people on the FRF are happy with their Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX tires. They have a similar design, but are a bit beefier than the ATPs.

Toyo AT2s and BFG KO2s are also very popular all around AT tires that might be worth a look.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the ST Maxxs I have. I liked them for about the first 5k. They have gotten loud and ride fairly rough. I rotate every 5k miles as well. Another thing is they have always been hard to get the truck aligned since they went on. It was aligned perfect then was out when they were installed. Have had alignment done 5 times after rotations etc. Had to switch a tire around to get alignment right. Just wish now I would have gone Duratracs or KO2. The St Maxx have been good in the mud though. Never been stuck.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the ST Maxxs I have. I liked them for about the first 5k. They have gotten loud and ride fairly rough. I rotate every 5k miles as well. Another thing is they have always been hard to get the truck aligned since they went on. It was aligned perfect then was out when they were installed. Have had alignment done 5 times after rotations etc. Had to switch a tire around to get alignment right. Just wish now I would have gone Duratracs or KO2. The St Maxx have been good in the mud though. Never been stuck.

Good to know and sorry to hear you're having trouble with them. They were my 2nd choice and I just about bought them. I went with Toyo RT's and couldn't be happier. They are aggressive yet very quiet. They do ride a bit rougher than the stock KOs, but I also went to mid perch so it's hard to say how much of that is the tire. I was driving in 10" of snow today in 2wd, ORM enabled, and TC disabled. I only needed 4wd when I came to a complete stop on a hill.

OP
OP
E

EdgeR6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks for the feed back. I'm back to square one I guess went down to Discount tire today and found out that the ATP's in our size will not be available may or April. Their are not a lot of tires in stock size available for our trucks. Would I have better luck with an 18 inch rim? what would the tire size be in an 18 that be close to stock size and not small. Where do you all order tires from.
I have been to discount.
tire rack and a couple of others.

Last edited:

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks for the feed back. I'm back to square one I guess went down to Discount tire today and found out that the ATP's in our size will not be available may or April. Their are not a lot of tires in stock size available for our trucks. Would I have better luck with an 18 inch rim? what would the tire size be in an 18 that be close to stock size and not small. Where do you all order tires from.
I have been to discount.

The stock size is metric 315/70R17, but the standard size 35x12.5x17 is very close (slightly larger) and will work without any mods in most cases. 18 inch rims might actually have a few less choices than 17"s and they cost more too.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my past two trucks and love them. Never had any traction issues, little to no road noise and great on road manners. Good warranty too. Not the most aggressive looking tire but I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good all around tire.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been to discount.

Pro comp just released a new A/T sport tire that looks similar to the Cooper ATP. Decent price and it has a 60k mile treadwear warranty.

Pro Comp Tires - 315/70R17, A/T Sport | 4WheelParts.com