Beadlock wheel question

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this....

Just realizing some down sides to beadlock wheels.
1 - I picked up a nail the other day. I was able to plug the tire myself. But I was going to take it to a tire shop to have a patch put on it. When I started to think about it, none of the tire shops here would know how to disassemble and reassemble the beadlock. So I would have to do it.

2 - ironically the same day I got a "tire pressure sensor fault". No idea which wheel it is.... But same issue. Got a long process to access the inner tire.

3 - I've been torqueing the locking bolts about every 1000 - 2000 miles. They really haven't moved. I think the most movement I've gotten was about a 1/16th of a turn from one or two early on when I was doing it at 500 mile intervals. Takes about 10 minutes to check all 96 bolts.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Last edited:

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For flat repairs and the tpms you can just let all the air out of the tire and/or deseat the rear bead then unbolt the ring, for flat repairs then unmount the rear bead then repair the flat, for tpms just lift the tire up and unbolt the old tpms and then replace the valve stem and bolt in a new tpms, then you just have to bolt the ring back up and unless your wheel was already out of balance you can air it back up and bolt it back onto the truck, no need to get the ring off the tire (which is a complete pain in the ass)

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For flat repairs and the tpms you can just let all the air out of the tire and/or deseat the rear bead then unbolt the ring, for flat repairs then unmount the rear bead then repair the flat, for tpms just lift the tire up and unbolt the old tpms and then replace the valve stem and bolt in a new tpms, then you just have to bolt the ring back up and unless your wheel was already out of balance you can air it back up and bolt it back onto the truck, no need to get the ring off the tire (which is a complete pain in the ass)

Not sure I completely follow that run on sentence. Lol...
What I was saying is unbolting the beadlock to make theses minor repairs ads a lot of time and some for thought. Most garages don't know what a beadlock is.

I thought about breaking the bead from the back side, but won't most tire machines scratch up the face of the wheel?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any proper tire machine has a pad that prevents the wheel from being damaged when breaking the bead

There are rock crawlers everywhere, and not all of them are gonna deal with their own beadlocks, drive around and ask which shops have dealt with beadlocks before, I'm sure you'll find one

As for taking more time, what I was saying before is that because of not having to deseat the front bead and because the ring lines up only one way, if the tire shop has the proper tools and experience a beadlock can take less time than a normal tire for those kinds of repairs