13.5 wide toyo R/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surffer227

Reaction score
So I'm about to need new tires on my truck and I'm probably getting a set of wheels too. Right now I have 35" toyo M/T on stocks and I love the look. These are by far my favorite looking tire. My dad has them in 38" on his excursion and I always loved the look.
So I'm looking at 20" rims, I know, you guys hate big rims, but I'm from SFL, that's kinda the style down here, and not to much dune jumping goin on anyway. I like the way 20s look on a 35" tire, and as I'm researching tires I came across Toyos "new" open country R/T, looks like a mud tire, rides like a street tire, they have this tire in a 35x13.5x20.
Has anyone run this yet? I'm on mid perch, am I going to have to get a high offset wheel to accommodate the wider tire? Then my next question, what do you guys recommend for wheels similar to a fuel trophy or methods. 20x10 or 20x9 d1d56fd91066b77dc78cc75c4b8de236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a great response to this but instead another question hopefully the same person can answer, could you run 35 13.5's on the 2013 stock 17" rims or do they even make that?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I am running the RTs now, seem like a great tire. But I live in Pa. where we have ice, snow and lately alot of rain.

Gilligan

Reaction score
Doubt you'll find much help around here when it comes to running 20's, but 13.5's are usually a no no unless you have lots of suspension work along with aftermarket fenders and lots of trimming.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You gonna open a can of worms by doing this size wheels. Your ride quality will be compromised, along with performance. I went through with this with my viper. Went 19x10.5/20x13 so that i realize i lost bottom end torque, had some minor rubbing in the rear…Ended up putting stock 18s back. Rides like butter now. Never again…
20" wheels and tires are stupid heavy just for starters, you will also have rubbing problems. As a matter of fact i saw a guy in my township with a Tuxedo Black Screw with 24" wheels. Thats an extreme, though, Good god that was hideous. I waited for him to come out of a hardware store had a small talk…
First of all somebody ripped him off…$4000 tire and wheels package (XD wheels/Nitto), big offset they stuck out pretty good. Also a leveling kit to compensate for the size. No tow adjustment kit either. Some butcher took really good care of him. lol

His first words were my truck used to ride like a Caddi…Also rubbing issues, bottom line he regretted getting the wheels.

I recall a couple responses in "Post your wheels and tires pics" thread….Take your time and read through it. There were couple of members ditching 20s and going back to 17s and 18s.

Whatever you do good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
surffer227

surffer227

Reaction score
Well I know on a car changing the overall height of the wheel makes a huge difference. I actually purposely run taller wheels in the rear of my project car. I figured if I kept the 35" height ride want to be compromised too drastically. I would think a 20" rim on the 35 tire would still leave plenty of meat but I guess I'll have to do a little bit more reading on that.
As far as the wider tire I would think that I could make up for it with a little more offset right? I wouldn't mind a little bit more poke from my wheels.
And no I haven't seen anyone to make 13.5s for anything smaller than a 20 inch rim, other than a 15.

j2k

Reaction score
Not sure if this is much help, but I can tell you I'm running 20" HRE TR46's (20 x 9, et 3) with 35 x 12.5 Toyo Open Country AT II tires and I had to go to mid perch to eliminate some minor rubbing. I don't think I'd have the room to run 13.5" tires with these wheels at mid perch.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Those 13.50's are going to have the potential to rub on your UCA. You didn't mention it so I'll assume stock UCAs. I run 37X12.50s and I've got less than a finger width between my tire and the UCA but since you're going aftermarket for your wheels, they'll be pushed out slightly more with should help with the clearance there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
surffer227

surffer227

Reaction score
Forgot to mention my truck is mid perch, but that's what I was wondering, if a higher offset wheel would help.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Forgot to mention my truck is mid perch, but that's what I was wondering, if a higher offset wheel would help.

Yeah it'll help with UCA clearance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter