Upgraded IWE gear replacement interest

Are you interested in an upgraded IWE gear?

• Yes definitly

Votes: 82 71.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Maybe Later

Votes: 31 27.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concern I would have is many time parts are made weak on purpose to not break a more expensive part up the line. Since the issue with the current iwe can be due to weak vacuum and partial engagement which then leads to tearing the teeth on the iwe. If this were to happen with a stronger iwe wouldn't the damage move up to the teeth on the cv joint? Course other issue I assume are cause to the iwe failing that may be just due to a weak iwe.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To make sure I understand, these gear sets are larger/stronger than the stock ones that engage the hubs? If this solves the problems of the IWE, it seems brilliant, cost effective, and simple.

OP
OP
HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Your concerns are legit @hagak. We have already anticipated this. We have found no pre mature wear from using our stronger IWE. The axle ends show zero signs of wear, and the wheel hub has shown little to none as well. The wheel hub, which would be the next in line to show wear anyway, even with OEM IWE gears. The IWE gear is insanely brittle and shears easily. Once cracked, its game over.

Yes, we are moving the weak link to another part. To the wheel hub gear. We do not find this to be a bad thing. Replacing a bad IWE in the field is not easy at all. A bad wheel hub, is simple in comparison. Wheel hub only costs $150 at tasca (so $40 more than IWE) and can be replaced in the field much easier.

Plus, with hard off roading, the bearings in the wheel hubs will need replaced sooner or later anyway (non servicable, sealed wheel hub unit) so you will be buying hubs eventually. Also the design of the hub gear is external, chances of it cracking are nil compared to IWE gear. An IWE gear, once cracked, will expand slip around, and shred its teeth over the hub once any torque is applied.

I would rather carry a spare wheel hub unit than a IWE to replace in the field.

Vacuum issues are a whole other can of worms. We are also working on a replacement stand alone vacuum system later for release later this year.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

To make sure I understand, these gear sets are larger/stronger than the stock ones that engage the hubs? If this solves the problems of the IWE, it seems brilliant, cost effective, and simple.

These are direct copies in terms of dimensions. But they are MUCH stronger. Will take the shock loading are trucks dish out and will resist shearing even more so.

This will not solve vacuum issues. It is reccomend to fix any vacuum issues before installing new IWEs.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you knew how expensive these initial units were... You wouldn't make more than you needed either!! Haha

Here's a little run down of current costs for me so far...

Internal spline shaper cutter for tooling (good for small batches) $1350

Internal spline broach (for mass production) $3590

And that doesn't even include the cost for the actual product or materials!

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

I've gone through 2 OEM sets, and have gone through 6 different sets while testing differant materials. I'm at 15k miles, and maybe 2.5k in 4wd. Lol

Gear mill them. Much less expensive then broaching or Hobbing. Same quality

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On pricing:

You can pickup Dorman IWE's for ~$65 a piece on amazon. Just another reference point for people.

Yep, that's what I did. I'm at over 80,000 miles and I replaced just one IWE due to grinding going into gear. It still held vacuum find and the spring was nearly the same tension as the new one. Don't get me wrong, I think the IWE has it's flaws, but knowing I can swap one out for under 70 bucks makes it attractive to me. I've not heard of the spring failing which would allow it to prematurely disengage. And if you were doing a big event, like Land Rush 1000, spend the 130 bucks and replace them both. Over the life of the truck you might do that once, MAYBE twice.

OP
OP
HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Please take that $500 number with a grain of salt. Final manufacturing process will determine final price. We are working on that as we speak. We hope to be well below that number for a pair. Shoot, if we can get into a stones throw of OEM price ranges we will be doing really good.