Twin Turboed 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He needs to check the basics before going after the tune. (Plugs, wires, vacuum lines) Yes, some issues can be easily corrected with tuning, but it doesn't make sense to tune around mechanical issues.

I have done this in the past and it makes6 tuning really tough and then the worst part is you have to retune after you fix the issue.

(Did a reread of you the last post and yes datalogging could help, but don't start tuning until you are certain mechanics are good)

I would agree. Really if you have no direction on where to start, replicating the issue and reading the datalog will help. I've had a batch of distributors for SBF motors that had a bad hall effect sensor and I was pulling my hair out figuring out why It was dropping spark. After changing the data recording from 5hz to 20hz I could see it dropping the ignition signal once it got hot. Otherwise I went over the entire harness and looked at different parts chasing a ghost.

I only say check the tune because I dont know if this is a new problem or if it has been like this from the begining.

OP
OP
J

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. This is the exact one I ended up buying, didn't see this until after I bought it - http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/twin-turbo-ford-raptor-here-29506/

It's been an interesting few weeks owning my raptor. A week after I bought it we had some snow and I put it in 4WD and the trans case shifted but the front wheels did not work... Well, a few hours later and a few choice words I figured out that the vacuum lines on the solenoid for the 4WD system were backwards and it was always providing vacuum so the front actuators never engaged. Easy change, just can't believe it had been that way since I'm assuming it was turboed a few years ago. Swapped the lines and worked like it should.

A couple days go by and I get home one day and notice the turbo oil pump isn't running when I parked. Pop the hood and there is lots of oil that had came out of the BOV. A wire for the pump had come undone and it turned off while driving. So the whole intake system was now full of oil, so I re-hooked up the wires and took everything apart to clean. Luckily the seals on the turbos look fine and haven't had oil problems in the intake since. I also decided to replace the pump with a new exapump because the gears were making a ton of noise.

So back to the original issue, I've checked all the basics and replaced all the plugs. A few were carbon fouled but not bad. I decided to replace with some different NGK Iridium plugs as i've seen lots of people/kits used them for forced induction setups on their raptors. Plugs weren't the issue, still have the hesitation.

One thing I was surprised about is there was no boost gauge installed at all, so I put one in so I can see the read out now. I was told it was tuned at around 4-5 PSI, but now I can see that. I do have some surging in pressure/vacuum when accelerating @ probably 75%, but at WOT it does not surge. The hesitation issue persists at 1.5k - 3k under load.

Today I just started taking a look at the data logging, new to doing this so It'll be a learning experience. Any advice on what to log or resources to look at? Anyone in here done a lot of data logging on their raptor before? I have an SCT X3 tuner.

I'd like to diagnose the issue myself, but if it comes down to it I might just have to take it somewhere around here...

OP
OP
J

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Yeah at WOT it's around 5 PSI. From all the research I've done and the threads on here with upp and TMX r&d they were doing to build a reliable kit it seems it's probably a bad tune that was never worked out.

There are several things I've had to rework since I purchased it including property mounting the exhaust and changing up the pcv so it no longer vents to intake because it was causing a rough idle, along with all the stuff I noted above. I guess that's what you get with a ver. 1 turbo setup before all the kinks were worked out.

From what I can tell reading my data logs is that it runs rich which is causing some misfires and stumbling under load at low rpm and low boost.

Reaction score
Twin turbo

I have a Hennessey twin turbo and I know in the past I had an issue with getting bad gas which caused misfire..not sure if thats your issue but figured I would throw it out there. I only run 93 octane and have zero problems since.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the same issue. A hesitation like I let of the throttle right at or very close to 2k. It's only for a split second and does it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but never in the other gears. It's most noticeable when I'm pulling a trailer or while accelerating getting on the interstate. Only does it at random in 1st and 3rd but always does it in 2nd. I also have the sct tuner with tunes from 5 star.
Differences are mine is a 2011 and no turbo or supercharger. Only mods engine wise are CAI, flowmaster muffler and resonator delete as well as the tuner. It stumbles with or with out the tuner on. I also have no clue what's wrong. Have done new plugs and wires with no benefit. I also only run 93 octane and run a few tanks of 93 ethanol free every so often.

Last edited:

Aksubiedubie

Reaction score
Might need to adjust torque values for mapped points 0 through 5 in the tune. On hptuners forum some 5.0 turbo and s/c guys have some hesitation and buckinf that has to do with torque values out of whack.

Ill be putting my tri y twin efr 7163 turbo setup in here next month after i finish fab work and ill report back on how tuning goes. Doing it myself.

- Isaac

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might need to adjust torque values for mapped points 0 through 5 in the tune. On hptuners forum some 5.0 turbo and s/c guys have some hesitation and buckinf that has to do with torque values out of whack.

Ill be putting my tri y twin efr 7163 turbo setup in here next month after i finish fab work and ill report back on how tuning goes. Doing it myself.

- Isaac

got a build thread?