K&N, Airaid, AFE, Volant, or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I'm selling Spyder projector Headlights on here, and when they sell I'm gonna buy an air intake. Which one will provide the biggest MPG and power increase? Also I would like to keep the 6.2 badged Plenum for looks... All advice is wanted. Thanks

The projector headlights are $250 on My profile. They come with a 6000k hid kit. The assembly was $ 261 on eBay and the hid kit was $ 90. This is a steal!! Check out the listing on my profile. Thanks in advance,

Raptor Boy

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm selling Spyder projector Headlights on here, and when they sell I'm gonna buy an air intake. Which one will provide the biggest MPG and power increase? Also I would like to keep the 6.2 badged Plenum for looks... All advice is wanted. Thanks

The projector headlights are $250 on My profile. They come with a 6000k hid kit. The assembly was $ 261 on eBay and the hid kit was $ 90. This is a steal!! Check out the listing on my profile. Thanks in advance,

Raptor Boy

(K&N, Airaid, AFE, Volant)

They are all quality units, and will probably give you similar results (within 2-3 HP of each other).

It comes down to personal preference. I have an Airaid and love it. Great quality and about a 15 minute install.

I know the Volant required you to relocate the coolant tank. (No thanks).

Regards,

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can add Roush to your list of CAI's.
They are all similar enough to make it a personal preference, IMO.

In a carefully (as careful as I could) controlled 4 week test, I experienced a 0.9 mpg improvement with my Roush CAI. I would expect similar results with any of the others.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(K&N, Airaid, AFE, Volant)

They are all quality units, and will probably give you similar results (within 2-3 HP of each other).

It comes down to personal preference. I have an Airaid and love it. Great quality and about a 15 minute install.

I know the Volant required you to relocate the coolant tank. (No thanks).

Regards,

It's really not bad. It replaces the stock lower air box. So all you do it pull that out transfer fluids and put the new air box in. It's actually probably the simplest part of the install.

To the OP the volant replaces the stock baffle (the part that says 6.2L).

BMWBig6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can add Roush to your list of CAI's.
They are all similar enough to make it a personal preference, IMO.

I thought the Roush had narrower (or same as stock) tubing? And the AFe, Airaid, etc. had larger diameter piping that is smoother (no accordion elbows, etc.)?

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought the Roush had narrower (or same as stock) tubing? And the AFe, Airaid, etc. had larger diameter piping that is smoother (no accordion elbows, etc.)?

I do believe that the Roush is the same tube diameter as stock, but I don't know the diameters of the others.

The Roush does have two accordian ribs, I suppose for some sound damping along with ease of install.

Looking at it from a flow restriction perspective, I think it would be safe to say the largest pressure drop in the stock system is the filter. If that is indeed the case, a larger diameter intake tube would add no measureable improvement.

That said, I would suspect that the two accordian ribs of the Roush add pressure drops opportunities. I would think a smooth intake tube with conically decreasing diameters to the throttle body would be the least pressure drop.

To use an intake tube diameter at the throttle body greater than the throttle body's diameter would create eddies at the diameter gradient, thus a pressure drop. A seamless diameter between the intake tube and the throttle body would yield the optimal flow environment.

So, from my knowledge the least pressure drop from outside the filter to the throttle body would have the following attributes:
  1. A large filter surface area
  2. A filter material that has minimal pressure drop
  3. The filter end of the tube would have a large diameter (cone-like: large at filter to smaller at throttle body)
  4. Intake tube would have minimal bends and smooth surface.
  5. The intake tube diameter would have a seamless transition from tube to throttle body

BMWBig6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe that the Roush is the same tube diameter as stock, but I don't know the diameters of the others.

The Roush does have two accordian ribs, I suppose for some sound damping along with ease of install.

Looking at it from a flow restriction perspective, I think it would be safe to say the largest pressure drop in the stock system is the filter. If that is indeed the case, a larger diameter intake tube would add no measureable improvement.

That said, I would suspect that the two accordian ribs of the Roush add pressure drops opportunities. I would think a smooth intake tube with conically decreasing diameters to the throttle body would be the least pressure drop.

To use an intake tube diameter at the throttle body greater than the throttle body's diameter would create eddies at the diameter gradient, thus a pressure drop. A seamless diameter between the intake tube and the throttle body would yield the optimal flow environment.

So, from my knowledge the least pressure drop from outside the filter to the throttle body would have the following attributes:
  1. A large filter surface area
  2. A filter material that has minimal pressure drop
  3. The filter end of the tube would have a large diameter (cone-like: large at filter to smaller at throttle body)
  4. Intake tube would have minimal bends and smooth surface.
  5. The intake tube diameter would have a seamless transition from tube to throttle body

So which of the aftermarket offerings comes closest to satisfying all of the above criteria?

And of the Roush, are you saying that the accordion ribs probably don't hurt things too much, as the largest pressure drop is addressed at the filter?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is my complete write-up on the AIRAID. I am completely enthused by it, it performs perfectly, no water intrusion, and the opportunity to discuss the design with the AIRAID engineer says good things about the company.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/airraid-installation-2011-6-2l-3085/

You will NOT realize a mpg increase with ANY intake. You own a 6,000 pound vehicle with a large displacement high performance engine. It sucks air and fuel to live, and you wouldn't get any better fuel economy if you didn't filter the intake air at all. You might get a few more horses, but only at large throttle openings when fuel economy goes to hell anyway. So whatever intake you decide on, have realistic expectations.

Last edited:

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will NOT realize a mpg increase with ANY intake. You own a 6,000 pound vehicle with a large displacement high performance engine. It sucks air and fuel to live, and you wouldn't get any better fuel economy if you didn't filter the intake air at all. You might get a few more horses, but only at large throttle openings when fuel economy goes to hell anyway. So whatever intake you decide on, have realistic expectations.

Apart from my personal four week test where I improved from 14.1mpg to 15.0mpg when I installed my Roush CAI. (see the one and only gas mileage thread for more details)
I noticed nearly a 1 mpg increase with my 209 Challenger R/T

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N deletes the plenum if that helps. My mpg improved a couple but 18.8-19.0 is the best average I can get w exhaust, CAI, and canned tune at a sustained speed of 50 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter