Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-6.2 Liter V8 [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-6.2 Liter V8 [GEN 1]

A few Questions before I take the Plunge

This is a discussion on A few Questions before I take the Plunge within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-6.2 Liter V8 [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
So, I am ready to take the supercharger plunge. I have a 2011 SCREW with 30K miles. Not a whole ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Truckzor

Sponsored By: GotExhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default A few Questions before I take the Plunge
So, I am ready to take the supercharger plunge. I have a 2011 SCREW with 30K miles. Not a whole lot of off-roading, but I take every chance I can. (Living in Nebraska with such a capable truck and limited places to go really sucks.)

My Plans:

1. Air Raid CAI
2. Kooks Full Exhaust, Headers to exhaust tips.
3. Whipple Supercharger with the heat exchanger upgrade and oil pump
gears and JDM Tuner.

My questions are:

1. Is the Kooks Full exhaust going to be too loud? Looking to be close to the original. We do take the truck o trips at times and I do not want to listen to drone cruising down the Highway.
2. I pull a 27' camper a couple of times each summer, about a 800 mile round trip. Since the Kooks goes straight out the back, is that going to make a lot of racket bouncing off of the camper? Should I have exhaust that exits out the sides?
3. Is there anything I need to do about the transmission? Is it capable of handling the extra HP/TQ of the Supercharger?
4. Do I want 47lb injectors? 60lb? Keep in mind, 80% of driving is on the streets, day to day stuff.
5. Is the JDM Tuner the one I want? I will be doing all the work myself, but I will probably be ordering everything through JDM. From everything I've read, they have the process down pretty good.
6. Am I forgetting anything? I know there are a lot of guys out there with close to this same set-up and am looking to them for advise.

Pretty much I am looking to "bolt on" all of my build. I do not want to get too much more into the motor than changing out the gears for the oil pump, which I hear is highly advisable with a Whipple. Thanks for any advise.

NUTHINGOESRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

JDM's 650 kit is well respected around here. Lot of guys are running it.

I was looking for a bit more power so I went another route. Details in build thread (link in signature).

Here's the kooks true dual set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BzWKSrhhg

I think it sounds great and those who have it have reported no drone. I've never heard in person so can't say any more than that.

Lots of supercharged guys on this board. Have not heard of any transmission failures. Only one guy I know of upgraded the transmission (there are good parts out there) but his truck is a custom built stroker with almost 800 at the rear, so he had an obvious need for it.

For what it's worth, my mechanic has built a lot of Raptors and told me it was absolutely not necessary to upgrade the transmission. Seems to be holding up just fine so far (little over 5k since building mine).

*edit* forgot to mention my truck has the 60 lb fuel injectors, which Whipple recommends.

Last edited by Truckzor; 03-11-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Truckzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I'll add my .02 on the Kooks. I have the complete setup from headers to the true duels. Quiet as a church mouse at highway speeds. Deep throaty exhaust note when mashing the skinny pedal. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. JDM is the way to go. I've bought all my exhaust through them and plan on the power adder later this year. I've talked to Jim on it and was most helpful. Answered all my questions (similar to yours) and treated me as a customer rather than a number. Definitely give him a call.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Truckzor View Post

I was looking for a bit more power so I went another route. Details in build thread (link in signature).

I think it sounds great and those who have it have reported no drone. I've never heard in person so can't say any more than that.

Lots of supercharged guys on this board. Have not heard of any transmission failures. Only one guy I know of upgraded the transmission (there are good parts out there) but his truck is a custom built stroker with almost 800 at the rear, so he had an obvious need for it.

For what it's worth, my mechanic has built a lot of Raptors and told me it was absolutely not necessary to upgrade the transmission. Seems to be holding up just fine so far (little over 5k since building mine).

*edit* forgot to mention my truck has the 60 lb fuel injectors, which Whipple recommends.
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I'll add my .02 on the Kooks. I have the complete setup from headers to the true duels. Quiet as a church mouse at highway speeds. Deep throaty exhaust note when mashing the skinny pedal. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. JDM is the way to go. I've bought all my exhaust through them and plan on the power adder later this year. I've talked to Jim on it and was most helpful. Answered all my questions (similar to yours) and treated me as a customer rather than a number. Definitely give him a call.
Thanks for your input guys. Another thing I forgot to ask the Supercharged gang, do I need to add the heat exchanger since I occasionally pull a pretty big camper? (Pretty big for a 1/2 ton.)
NUTHINGOESRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

MTF
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

An HE is required for all Forced Air Induction regardless what you plan on doing.
And the new Whipple HD HE will give you the best intercooling available.

Whipple 700+ HP Upgrade Package, Oil and Fuel pump upgrades, Custom Deavers +2 Rear Springs, Axle Exchange Driveshaft, Rogue Racing Traction Bars, Hellwig rear sway bar, Pace Edward electric bed cover with remote, Pop & Lock Tail Gate lock, Mud Flaps, Window Rain Guards, EZ Down Tailgate, Bed Rug,
Future Installs: Brembo Brakes 15" Gran Turismo
MTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
FRF Addict

I have the big HE and I went an extra step and put in a larger aftermarket radiator. Probably overkill but heat is what kills an engine so I figured it was (relatively) cheap insurance while my truck was already apart to put in the billet oil pump gears.
DrewFish11 likes this.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Truckzor View Post

Have a roush super charger 2 trannys 2 transfer case later thinkin of getting rid of the super charger

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
keywestjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Originally Posted by keywestjeff View Post
Have a roush super charger 2 trannys 2 transfer case later thinkin of getting rid of the super charger

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Yikes. Can you share more about your setup? Who tuned it?

And what failed in the tranny?

Old 03-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

MTF
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

With a name keywestjeff, I could only guess that heat is the major factor.

Whipple 700+ HP Upgrade Package, Oil and Fuel pump upgrades, Custom Deavers +2 Rear Springs, Axle Exchange Driveshaft, Rogue Racing Traction Bars, Hellwig rear sway bar, Pace Edward electric bed cover with remote, Pop & Lock Tail Gate lock, Mud Flaps, Window Rain Guards, EZ Down Tailgate, Bed Rug,
Future Installs: Brembo Brakes 15" Gran Turismo
MTF is offline   Reply With Quote