EAA AirVenture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the Raptor owners who are also pilots, last week was the Experimental Aircraft Association AirVenture (Fly-In) located in Oshkosh, WI. I decided to drive from Florida to Wisconsin in my Raptor. The Raptor is nice for long distance driving, very comfortable and of course great on bad roads. As I approached Chicago, I decided to keep on going as the reciprocity laws aren’t friendly in these states. Finally, I got to Wisconsin and saw the beautiful fields of cheese, wow, very impressive. It was a total of 27 hours of non-stop driving, some say one can hallucinate staying awake that long, but not me.

When I got to the AirVenture Campsite, it had just rained and all the good sites were gone. It was a huge campsite and almost filled, so I traveled around, sometimes in very deep mud to find a good spot. On one “road”, a full-sized RV was completely stuck in the mud. So, I offered to pull him out with my winch. Unfortunately, my winch reverse failed, (I will need fix it soon). Instead, I just pulled him out with the tow rope, which was easy and actually a lot of fun.

The show featured a lot of great pilots (e.g. Blue Angels, AeroShell Team, Sean Tucker, etc.), NASA dignitaries (Gene Kranz, Buzz Aldrin, Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, etc.), and even Stan Lee of comic book/movie fame. Too many famous people to mention here.

Of interest to the FRF, Ford featured a nice display with the new Raptor; the Roush Raptor; and the F22 Raptor. They were giving away a nice hat for the F22 Raptor. Bud Anderson and Jack Roush (a super nice guy) were also on hand giving autographs.

I’ve included a bunch of pictures from the event for those interested. Let me know if you have any questions. I will also be going to the 2018 Sun ‘n Fun Fly-In in Lakeland, FL. This is a smaller version of AirVenture, but fortunately it’s only 20 miles from my house.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Skyfrog

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pictures...

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 33

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
27 Hours straight, that's hardcore! Great pics and writeup, I haven't been to Oshkosh since my grandfather flew us there in the early 80's...

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving a raptor and flying planes just goes hand in hand. Glad to see other pilots on the forum.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk