Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]

Programming a Icom CS-F3011

This is a discussion on Programming a Icom CS-F3011 within the Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
I acquired an Icom CS-F3011 with default programming thinking it would just be a simple thing to program it. It ...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Programming a Icom CS-F3011
I acquired an Icom CS-F3011 with default programming thinking it would just be a simple thing to program it. It turns out you need a special cable and special software that is only released to dealers. Pretty ridiculous policy on Icom's part. I personally hate having a piece of electronics that is limited by the manufacturer in some way.

That said, I bought a $15 cable off eBay and acquired the software. I programmed my radio with 16 channels that @GBrown1867, formerly of Raptor Expeditions fame, suggested, including Weatherman, which is most common.

I have the programming software and the pre-configured clone file on Dropbox. If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send you a link. I didn't want to directly post the link because I'm sure there is a reason Icom is so protective of letting people use their own equipment.

'11 SCrew - Tux Black - #5543
jondle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Mentioned: 1100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

@Kmandoske @shooterAMG
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)

@Huck

Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

You can buy the cable from anyone it's not dealers only

Icom F5021,RPG Stg 4+ Fox 3.0 coilovers, RPG Tie-rods (modified to camburg hardware), RPG PS reservoir, Camburg 1.25" UCA's , Raptor -Retro fit '13 HIDS, Line-x preminum, Bluewater LED bed lights, Ipad mini navigation. Bubba rope. Rollx, Recon 10.5k winch synth rope, factor 55, SVC Custom acuated tower. Visions 30" xmitter extreme, 35" toyo MT, visionx 6550 spot.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
You can buy the cable from anyone it's not dealers only
That is true. If you want the technical details, it is a USB to Serial adapter wired to a 3-ring 3.5mm male connector. Pretty simple to make your own, but for $15 off eBay it is hard to make it yourself cheaper.

If it were my company, I would have radios use standard mini or micro USB and make the software downloadable. I suppose if you do that, you are expected to support it, so maybe I see why they don't list it. I'm sure Icom doesn't have the infrastructure for direct end-user support and since it is widely known that end-users are stupid...I guess it makes sense. Just a little annoying for someone that is very technical.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Is the 3011 an old radio? The 5021 has a usb to telephone connector, real simple and easy plugs into the mic port

Icom F5021,RPG Stg 4+ Fox 3.0 coilovers, RPG Tie-rods (modified to camburg hardware), RPG PS reservoir, Camburg 1.25" UCA's , Raptor -Retro fit '13 HIDS, Line-x preminum, Bluewater LED bed lights, Ipad mini navigation. Bubba rope. Rollx, Recon 10.5k winch synth rope, factor 55, SVC Custom acuated tower. Visions 30" xmitter extreme, 35" toyo MT, visionx 6550 spot.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Is the 3011 an old radio? The 5021 has a usb to telephone connector, real simple and easy plugs into the mic port
I'm not sure how old it is. I know it is listed on their site as the current product line and is actively sold by dealers, but I'm sure you are correct and it is an old model that is due for an update.

Did your 5021 come with the USB cable? That was what irked me about the 3011; it requires a non-standard cable and it doesn't come with one.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the 3011 is a handheld, so no RJ-11/14 connection, and the 5021 is a permanent mounted radio. My Yaesu permanent mount was programmable by the radio face, but not an option on the handheld. You are literally unable to use it without programming it and you can't program it without the cable and software.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Originally Posted by jondle View Post
I'm not sure how old it is. I know it is listed on their site as the current product line and is actively sold by dealers, but I'm sure you are correct and it is an old model that is due for an update.

Did your 5021 come with the USB cable? That was what irked me about the 3011; it requires a non-standard cable and it doesn't come with one.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the 3011 is a handheld, so no RJ-11/14 connection, and the 5021 is a permanent mounted radio. My Yaesu permanent mount was programmable by the radio face, but not an option on the handheld. You are literally unable to use it without programming it and you can't program it without the cable and software.
That could be why if its a handheld.

I believe the only handhealds that people use that you can program are the wouxen and the baufeng.

All of the others are useless unless you have the software and cable.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
All of the others are useless unless you have the software and cable.
Exactly why I'm trying to help anyone that may be in my situation. If you are looking for a handheld, the 3011 is a good option now with the cheap cable from eBay.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I am in need of the f3011 software can I get it?
Motorola is offline   Reply With Quote