Installation/Review JL Audio C5-570 Component Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you going to use your same sub? or are you going to change the box?

i just need to make sure that it is loud enough for you. i dont want you to complain that its too quiet. but im guessing that wiring the cleansweep and amps derailed your thoughts of upgrading.......

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
are you going to use your same sub? or are you going to change the box?

i just need to make sure that it is loud enough for you. i dont want you to complain that its too quiet. but im guessing that wiring the cleansweep and amps derailed your thoughts of upgrading.......

You could say that but it's not out of the question still. When the warmer weather hits and I have more room to work I will consider it. I will ship you my JL W0 and have you build a box and install it.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, great write up Birdman. I'm doing the same install and am unclear as to why you don't run the woofers through the cross over? Also did you leave your rear speakers stock? If so do you fade them out so they they don't ruin your tune?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
First of all, great write up Birdman. I'm doing the same install and am unclear as to why you don't run the woofers through the cross over? Also did you leave your rear speakers stock? If so do you fade them out so they they don't ruin your tune?

i didn't run the woofers through the crossover because the factory tweeter and woofer wires aren't sending a full range signal from the amp. technically you would need a full range signal input and then the crossover would split it out to the woofer and the tweeter.

since that's the case and i could only run 1 or the other i chose to run the tweeter because i wanted to drive the highs more since that's what the factory system was lacking.

i have not done the rears yet, I plan on doing the C3 coax speakers for the rear but honestly i don't seem to hear them anyway. they fill the sound in the back but if they're distorted i can't notice.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Update

Update: I had some type of a rattling and/or crackling sound coming from the speakers. I removed the door panels today to investigate. 2 things happened.

1. The weather strip foam I used must have compressed because both speakers were a little loose.

2. I also discovered that the passenger side speaker wire harness was wet.

I removed the foam and applied 3 layers of Dynamat around the speaker opening to give a better surface for the speaker to sit against and also close the small gaps around the speaker opening. The goal here isn't sound deadening but just to promote a solid mounting surface and seal around the speaker opening.

I also used a strip of Dynamat to wrap the speaker wire plug to create a water tight envelope around the plug and wires. I then routed the excess wire around another harness in the door to keep it away from the window when it's down because I think that is where the water came from.

I put it all back together and I think I have remedied the rattling noise. I believe the crackling noise could have been from the connections being wet? Or it could be poor audio quality from my iPod...not sure.

ura5ysen.jpg

u2ejyru8.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crackling usually isnt from the water,...... unless you submerge the speaker under water.
the dynamat (or similiar) is good to use, along with closed cell foam strips if needed. let me know how it turns out

Duke240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might seam small but has anybody found a decal or something to replace the SONY logo on the speaker grill? Nothing tacky or out of place looking... I figure with JL tweeters staring at you and all it would be a nice detail to change.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
This might seam small but has anybody found a decal or something to replace the SONY logo on the speaker grill? Nothing tacky or out of place looking... I figure with JL tweeters staring at you and all it would be a nice detail to change.

I looked Saturday if it would be feasible to remove the Sony logo without getting crazy with it....no dice. The JLs come with a nice emblem but I couldn't figure out how it would look decent