Fundimental Audio Knowledge Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJOmar

Reaction score
So I have been visiting this forum for quite some time now, found a lot of very useful information but never had anything to share. I have a 2014 Supercrew cab that is in stock condition, aside from 2 LED bars (22" under grill and 42" behind upper grill, both curved)
I have been planning my audio system for a while and finally worked out all the details (thanks to Birdman and Noah):
- Subs: 2X Skar 8" VVX-8v3
- Midrange: 2X Skar 8" PAX8
- Sub Amp: rockford fosgate prime R1200-1D
- Mids Amp: rockford fosgate prime R600X4 (bridging both channels for mids)
I will raise the backseats 1" by putting some steel block spacers on the stock seat bolts (it looks like I won't be able to lift the seat bottom fully this way). I will install all 4 speakers under the seat and front-firing in a custom box. Amps will go behind the rear seat back (heat issue???)
so my main question here is regarding tapping into wires with a LOC, since the signal reaches all OEM speakers and subs pre-amped and crossovered, that would mean the OEM sub wires are only good to power my subs, but not the mids, correct? if that was the case, then which speaker has the right signal (frequency) to tap into for my mids?
please feel free to comment/correct anything you see wrong with this build

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressive build list. I ended up doing JL audio in all my doors, currently powered by stock headunit.
And 2 Memphis 12's under the seats in a custom built box I made without having to lift my seat! powered by a Memphis 600W amp. It took some time but I made it happen!

I am also not that great with technical knowledge of speakers. But I'd run the mid range off the door speaker wires. Those were the stock "mid range" in my mind.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AJOmar

AJOmar

Reaction score
I have the same understanding regarding door speakers being mids, but wasn't entirely sure if front and back doors had different signals, or if I needed a cleansweep.
as for the seat lift, the front firing 8" is kinda of a tight fit, especially these Skar subs since they are long and have a big magnet
but I am interested in the JL audio door speaker swap, does it offer significant improvement? either sound quality or level

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same understanding regarding door speakers being mids, but wasn't entirely sure if front and back doors had different signals, or if I needed a cleansweep.
as for the seat lift, the front firing 8" is kinda of a tight fit, especially these Skar subs since they are long and have a big magnet
but I am interested in the JL audio door speaker swap, does it offer significant improvement? either sound quality or level
@ 75k miles when I did it my stocks had given out on quality, so comparing new to new I cannot though I do personally feel that even without an amp driving extra power to them the JL door speakers had a better range and allowed a higher volume than stock. My door speakers actually hit now! The old ones were way worse off than these new ones, at some point I'll consider putting an amp to them to gain the full potential but as of now I'm very happy with their performance.

I replaced my door speakers all around with coaxial JL giving me 2 extra tweeters in the front, I would do component up front if I did it again (which was stock).

I believe that all 4 door speaker wires are infact the same.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk