Canadian River / Red River NM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I put over 2000 miles on my truck in about a week and a half. Went to Amarillo, then to Red River, NM, back to Amarillo and then home. I had a chance to do some off-roading in New Mexico and north of Amarillo. The weather provided a much needed break from humidity (Ama: 95/66, very dry; RR 85/55, dry)

In the Red River area, I drove up to Greenie Peak, back down through the Midnight Meadows area to Forrest Access Road 134. We went east on 134 to the Anchor Mine. We took a side trip off of 134 up to Cabresto Lake for some fishing (no luck) on the way back to town via Questa.

Greenie Peak is not much of a challenge but parts of the trail are relatively slow going and I used low range quite a bit for the additional engine braking. The width of the truck was only an issue in a couple of places (good thing I brought my tree pruners!!). There were two places I had to turn around and I was very thankful the wheelbase was not any longer that it already is. The road up to Cabresto Lake (Forrest Access Road 134A) is pretty rough, but again, not much of a challenge.

Here is a trail description w/ GPS waypoints for Greenie Peak:
http://nm4w.org/WEBEJEEPIN/Trails/New_Mexico/Greenie_Peak.htm

Map location of Greenie Peak:
Greenie Peak - Google Maps

Map location of the Anchor Mine:
Anchor Mine - Google Maps

Map location of Cabresto Lake (end of Forrest Access Road 134A):
Cabresto Lake - Google Maps

On the way up to Greenie Peak (note the Red River Ski Area in the background):
IMG_2762.jpg

At the Greenie Peak / Midnight Meadows road juncture:
IMG_2765.jpg

Greenie Peak (note the ski area) Est. elevation 11,250 ft:
IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

Midnight Meadows:
IMG_2774.jpg

A different meadow on the way down to 134:
IMG_2775.jpg

After we got back to Amarillo, I had a morning available to go to the Canadian River area. There are some wide open stretches where I was really able to open it up, but had to really be alert for beer bottles. The area had received a lot more rain than usual and the vegetation was really grown up and there were a lot more deep mud holes than I remember (mud is not my thing). I would have gone further in, but I didn't want to spend the effort trimming back trees / bushes or get my less than 2 month old truck scratched up. There were quite a few more ATV trails than I remember. Due to the increase in garbage (mainly beer bottles / cans), frequent underage drinking (while operating an ATV), frivolous new ATV trails and the numerous additional mud holes, I would not be surprised to see this area get shutdown at some point.

Map to the turnoff off of US-287 (the pointer is a little off):
Canadian River Flats turnoff - Google Maps

IMG_2805.jpg

The Canadian River in the background:
IMG_2806.jpg

The Canadian River in the background:
IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

Here is an older pic of the area:
IMG_1573.jpg

As a bonus, I was passed by this on the way into Houston:
IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

I am not a Chrysler fan, but the ACR is AWESOME!!

I have put 3000 miles on in less than 2 months. This truck is a road trip machine. It is very quiet at speed, a very smooth ride and passing on two lane roads is effortless (not quite as effortless as the G8, but impressive nonetheless). Off-road capabilities were what I expected, but I am very thankful it is not longer or wider than it currently is (I think the SuperCrew Raptors will have some big issues with anything other than wide open terrain). This is a great jack of all trades vehicle. I am happy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gorgeous terrain! Sorry to hear abuses by a few jackasses is probably going to lead to more closures. I still don't get why we just close stuff, rather than catch these kids and put them to work cleaning up their and their buddy's trash.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great trip.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The higher elevations are the place to go now that summer is on HI. Nice pics - glad you were able to get away and have some fun pushing your Raptor.

Thanks for sharing your pics and write-up with us.

I agree with Jason. Someone should catch the offenders in action and either beat them or arrest them, whichever, AND make them clean it up!

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Sorry to hear abuses by a few jackasses is probably going to lead to more closures. I still don't get why we just close stuff, rather than catch these kids and put them to work cleaning up their and their buddy's trash.

I agree with Jason. Someone should catch the offenders in action and either beat them or arrest them, whichever, AND make them clean it up!

Agreed. The Jeep club I used to be in, Jeep Exclusive, used to do a big cleanup every year. We would easily fill up a construction dumpster. Unfortunately, the area is almost never patrolled (I have never seen any LEOs out there).

IRONMAN

Reaction score
The Adventures never seem to stop..AWESOME!
This area sure had some nice scenery. Thanks for the pics.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Great post Kaiser! And very helpful information for other people to navigate the trails. Maps and GPS these days are a helluva lot better than the old days when we had to go from memory and a sundial/compass :)

And I couldn't agree more about your comment on "underage drinkers" and how they both trash the trails, and leave their trash on the trails. I'm pretty much against making "bypass" trails to fling mud for no good reason - use the existing trails, or else someone will shut them down. And FFS - pick up your damn garbage when you leave...

There's been a 20 year ongoing battle here in Alberta, I found out recently, between the Forest Land Use (feds) and the local off road associations regarding trail closures. This is primarily due to alcohol fueled drivers with mostly legal trucks and 44" boggers making new trails wherever the hell they felt like. Like many things in life, a few minority players can screw things up for the remaining majority of those who enjoy, but respect, the trails.

Anyways - glad to see you post pics of your trail run - look forward to seeing more throughout this year!

Cheers,