Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csirnak

Reaction score
A friend gave me a Warn X8000i winch for free. Works great. No rust or anything. Missing a fairlead.
Should I upgrade to a synthetic rope or keep the metal winch cable? I know the synthetic is cheaper, but the winch mount I have is between the frame rails in front of the rad.Will this heat hurt the synthetic line at all?

I'm not rock crawling and hopefully i'll never need to use it, but what should I do cable wise? BTW this is going behind a Lex Striker 2 bumper. But frame mounted.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the cable is ok, I'd keep it.
I run a synthetic line on my winch and have not seen any derogation from heat in that location.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also run synthetic for the last two years in the same location.
I use the winch regularly for logging and equipment retrieval and the line is in good shape.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A friend gave me a Warn X8000i winch for free. Works great. No rust or anything. Missing a fairlead.
Should I upgrade to a synthetic rope or keep the metal winch cable? I know the synthetic is cheaper, but the winch mount I have is between the frame rails in front of the rad.Will this heat hurt the synthetic line at all?

I'm not rock crawling and hopefully i'll never need to use it, but what should I do cable wise? BTW this is going behind a Lex Striker 2 bumper. But frame mounted.
If you do upgrade, check out www.masterpull.com

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your use. I used mine frequently on my Jeep and preferred synthetic.

I ran a wire cable for two years on my Jeep until I finally switched to synthetic. The cable kept binding and crimping. I just never cared for it properly I guess. When you're on a trail and folks are behind you waiting for you to clear an obstacle, you don't have time to properly reel it back, so it gets kinks and eventually frays.

The synthetic line is much more forgiving. You don't have to baby it as much and it doesn't splinter like cable does. it also weighs a lot less. On my Jeep that was a concern. On a Raptor, not so much.

If it were my winch, I'd get the synthetic line.

Good luck.