Truck Rack - need your opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a custom, super basic bed rack made for my trailer to mount the ARB Simpson III on. I got a quote of $750. It's literally 4 post with a square top. Super basic. He plans to use 1 1/2" x 1" rectangular tube with 1/8" wall thickness.

I was expecting it would be closer to the $500 mark, but I've never had one made before, so I really don't know. I also don't know how I could get a ballpark rating on it without simply testing it to the limits.

Thoughts?

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm having a custom, super basic bed rack made for my trailer to mount the ARB Simpson III on. I got a quote of $750. It's literally 4 post with a square top. Super basic. He plans to use 1 1/2" x 1" rectangular tube with 1/8" wall thickness.

I was expecting it would be closer to the $500 mark, but I've never had one made before, so I really don't know. I also don't know how I could get a ballpark rating on it without simply testing it to the limits.

Thoughts?

FYI RPG did mine for 1K that sounds like a rip off for 4 posts and a top. Check out the work that went into this for 1K vs your cost of $750 for that basic build.

698EB374-F190-4C87-8065-8F4E510C2EBA_zpsuyta8j9t.jpg

Go somewhere else is what I would do. Good luck.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I want one of those too. That would be my next project for sure. They have ones like that on eBay for about $1000. I literally just need a rack to mount the tent to and will support the weight driving and with 3 bodies in it.

He is quoting raw, w/o powder coat etc. So that would be another couple hundred on top putting it at about $1k ready to install...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend anywhere near that...

But it takes knowing someone who can weld and won't charge you shop rates to do basic stuff.

Hell for that price you could get some Yakima cross bars... For three people I would definitely suggest three cross bars. They make bases for flat mounting and taking them off or adding accessories, locks etc. is obviously very easy. I used them for my RTT over my bed.

IMG_0019-L.jpg

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Faris

Reaction score
Check with LEX Motorsports. They are building mine right now. Tons of custom add ons and great quality. Call Jason or Treavor over there and chat with them.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Faris where are they located? Had a random person driving by my garage yesterday tell me he works at a local trailer shop and gave me the number of a local welder. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk