Review: Bakflip Tonneau Bed Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I was shopping for bed (tonneau) cover I decided on the Bakflip because it is functional, attractive, well-designed and built. It provides the bed contents weatherproof protection and security while it is easily folded forward out of the way for loading, unloading and taller loads.

bakflip_rear.jpg

Bakflip has three models (this is from their website):

1. BAKFlip G2 – All Aluminum surfaces, ½ inch thick, 1 year warranty
  2. BAKFlip HD – All Aluminum surfaces, 5/8 inch thick (30% more rigid than G2), 2 year warranty
  3. BAKFlip F1 – Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer outer surface (Aluminum on underside), 5/8 inch thick (30% more rigid than G2, same rigidity as HD), 2 year warranty
Source: http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/bakflip_home

Before buying from an online source I happened to talk to my Ford dealer and they offer the Bakflip provided as a Ford product with installation at an attractive price and it was available in a couple days which was key so I bought it from them.

The Bakflip from Ford is the Bakflip HD.

I'm very happy with it - it works as advertised and provides weatherproof protection and security for the bed contents and is attractive. It folds up and out of the way very easily, quickly and is never a nuisance to have or use. I highly recommend it.

If you'd like you can call Bakflip directly. Here's their contact info: 1-888-377-2268 from 10AM-6PM Central Time Monday through Friday according to the above web page.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In response to some wondering about the Bakflip's ability to keep the bed contents dry I conducted an unscientific water leak test.

IMG_1297.jpg

I wet the Bakflip bedcover down thoroughly. I sprayed water directly all over the bed cover, the "hinges", the seals, the edges, everywhere. And I'm very happy to report that there were no more than 3 for 4 water drops inside. The seals fit over the sides (overlap) and any water that gets under them is collected by the rails and the rails drain the water into the drain tubes (two of them) which drain the water through the grommets in the front of the bed onto the ground below.

I absolutely recommend this unit. It's very slim, attractive, works well protecting the bed contents from theft and the elements and the flips up and out of the way very quickly and easily. It comes with two support rods one for each side. These rods are propped up and locked quickly into place if/when you have all 3 panels flipped up exposing most of the bed (for carrying large items).

The Bakflip unit is well made and I recommend it to anyone interested in buying a quality bed cover.

Here's a pic of the unit installed (it's all shiny after I put a coat of protectant on it)...

IMG_1180.jpg

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Nice write-up MMD...just ordered my bedrug and bakflip this week. should have it for RR4

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I have the BakFlip G2 and the back latch broke...screws came out and the latch assembly was glued on and is now hanging in my bed. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm taking it in tomorrow to the place that installed it to have it looked at and hopefully replaced???

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put my F1 on this weekend...WOW... great fit, easy to put on, looks great. Just wish they would have marked the exact location for front to back. I set mine so the cover almost hits the tailgate to get the best seal in the back... that makes the front rubber just meet the seal you put on... overall it seems tight... not to worried about water out here in the desert.... but great item... and I got a great deal. Anyone want the best price on any BakFlip, and be assured you are getting what you pay for, let me know and I will give you my contact!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I'm look to install the same cover and bed rug set up, if you install one at a time which one would you install first?

Thanks

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO, the Bakflip first (it's what I did). You can always put an old sleeping bag or floor mats or something in the bed to protect the paint. You could tie the items down on top of a mat or old rug, etc.

But that's not necessarily the way to do it. If you don't have a need to protect stuff from wind (when driving), rain/condensation over night, or from prying eyes and theft then you might want to get the Bedrug first.

Another consideration is how long do you expect to go in between the purchases? If it'll be some time then you'll need to think about your primary concerns (protecting your stuff or protecting your bed's paint).

As you know, the bed cover and bed protector work as a pair so everyone wants them at the same time.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will let the otehr Dan answer LOL, but this Dan would say the rug first as the BakFlip may make it difficult to work in the very front 6-8 inches as the top is fixed at that point.... Just my opinion!