PRODUCT REVIEW - 2015 Bak Revolver X2 Aluminum Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me lay out the foundation here. I had the previous Roll-X version and was extremely happy with it. I bought it a few months ago after the Revolver X2 had already been announced. I couldn't wait for the Revolver X2 to be released because I needed a tonneau cover for a long road trip we had planned. So, I ordered the older version of the Bak tonneau called the Roll-X. When the Roll-X arrived, it was damaged, but still working. I installed it in time for my trip, but reached out to Bak Industries and told them about my damaged Roll-X. Without hesitation, they told me they would send me a new one. A few weeks later, and much to my surprise, they sent me a brand new Revolver X2. Having installed both within a short period of time, I can assure you that the new Revolver X2 is a significant improvement in design, fit and function.

The design is very simple. There are essentially three components to the design - they are the same components as in the previous model:

1. The two side rails.
2. The rolling cover.
3. The hardware.

1. The side rails:

The side rails are beefier, stiffer and sit on the Raptor bed rails much better. There was nothing wrong with the previous model's side rails, but these just feel bulkier, heavier and sturdier. The inside rail where the cover sits is wider and also reinforced from underneath, providing a more solid foundation for the cover to lay on. The locking mechanism also latches with more certainty. The new latch mechanism feels smooth and secure, whereas the previous model felt like it grinded some and had some play in the mechanism. The previous model was also a bit tricky to latch. The cover had to be perfectly even for both sides to latch properly. The new Revolver X2 latches perfectly each time without having to align the cover perfectly.

I feel as if the new side rails sit on the bed rails much better. Maybe since they come pre-installed from factory with the proper spacers, they sit better, but they just look better and make a more uniform seal.

2. The rolling cover:

The rolling cover is very similar to the previous one with three notable practical improvements: 1) the strap latches are secured on top of the cover, 2) there is a rubberized drip edge along the front that goes over the bed rail behind the cab, thus not allowing any water to penetrate the cover between the cab and the bed, and 3) the rubber/plastic pads that lay on the side rails are wider and provide a more secure connection to the side rails.

Besides these notable improvements, I also found that due to the large drip edge along the front edge, it allowed me to push back the cover further and make a more secure contact point with the tailgate. Overall, it just feels better and the cover sits much better than the previous one. There aren't as many wrinkles or kinks in the rubber as the previous model and the gaskets seem more uniform.

3. The hardware:

The hardware is very similar. They did away with the butterfly nuts (thank goodness) and now only provide hex nuts to secure the cover to the rails. The new straps are attached with an additional bed rail clamp and it feels MUCH more secure than the previous method. Everything else looks the same. To be honest, the fastening hardware on the previous model worked great, was easy to fasten and was very secure, so I'm glad they didn't change that.

Overall, I am very impressed with the new design. I was already happy with the old design and therefore a little skeptical about the changes. I asked myself, "How could this get any better?" Well, they made it better. It as hotter than hell while I was installing it, so I didn't take any pictures while uninstalling the previous model and installing the Revolver X2, but I did manage to take some photos of the installed cover this morning.

In my opinion, it's the best slim cover on the market. Is it perfect? Not quite yet. I would still like to see a shield in front of the pull-down wire to prevent a screwdriver from being able to slip underneath the cover and accessing the pull-down wire to open the cover. It's an easy fix, but they just haven't done it. I also have the Bak Box and it doesn't work as well with the Revolver X2 as it did with the Roll-X, so I removed it. I'll reach out to Bak and see what they have to say about it. In the meantime, I think I'll epoxy an aluminum shield in front of the pull-down wire.

Overall, kudos to Bak Industries for improving an already wonderful design.

Here are some pictures:

This is the new rubber drip edge on the front of the cover, between the bed and the cab. It doesn't allow any water to penetrate the bed and keeps everything dry! Also notice the permanent clips for the retaining straps.
15%252520-%2525201.png

This shows how tight the tolerances are with the new cover. This is how the rear of the cover sits on the tailgate. It's snug, but doesn't bind.
15%252520-%2525202.png

This shows the wider rails and rubber feet of the cover. Notice how much more of a footprint it has over previous models.
15%252520-%2525203.png

This is how it looks installed.
15%252520-%2525204.png

Notice the clean edge and how tight it sits on the bed rail.
15%252520-%2525205.png

Passenger side.
15%252520-%2525206.png