One Man's Trash... Mid Flaps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I made a similar set while in Baja waiting on another Raptor to get weld washers installed after he lost a leaf spring bolt (another story, do you check the torque on yours? you should!)

Anyways since there is so much flex between the frame and the cab they made a ton of noise.

Anyone having that result with these? I used the same mounting points.

You bring up a good point Trey, but I'm with Ruby, no noise what so ever.

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mid Flaps for a SCREW!

Wanted to put mid flaps on my 2011 SCREW.......after realizing that TheJoker's truck is a SCAB and the mounting points that he used don't line up on a SCREW, I crawled under my truck to see if there was another way to mounts the Mid Flaps.

First thing I ordered TWO truck mud flaps, $33.47 total. Mud Flap anti spray Guard King 24"X24"X3/8", 242438GK, James King

Cheapest I found and they don't bend you over on the shipping.

Step 1.
Purchase a 3' piece of 1/8" x 1 1/4" stock. Cut two pieces 12 1/2" long.
Drill two 5/16" holes 1/2" in from the ends. Bend one end 2 1/2" from the end at a 90 on each piece.

Step 2.
Take one of the mud flaps and cut it 15" wide X 16 1/2" tall. Make sure that the proper side is facing the rear.
Cut a 3 1/2" wide X 3" tall notch out of the top inboard corner, this is to allow the flap to fit around the frame for better Shock protection.
Round the top outboard corner to fit to the running board mount, also round the bottom corner to match.
Repeat for the other side.

Step 3.
Use an old 8M U-nut from an old bumper mount or exhaust hanger, etc.....I know you have plenty of them laying around, and put into the square hole in the frame to aline with the round hole opposite the rearward bracket on the running board.

Step 4.
Use a 8M screw to snug up the bracket tight enough to hold the mud flap in place between the bracket and the running board mount. Drill a 5/16" hole through the bracket and the mud flap into the running board mount.
Level the mud flap, I ran mine 3" off of the ground, and drill the inboard hole and tighten things up, I suggest using a large washer on the inner mud flap mount.

Thanks to TheJoker for the idea.

The install was straight foreword and looks clean.......will up date after I put some miles on the trial.

Attachments

• MidFlap3.jpg
    MidFlap3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 174
  • MidFlap2.jpg
    MidFlap2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 163
  • MidFlap1.jpg
    MidFlap1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 188
  • MidFlap7.jpg
    MidFlap7.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 182
  • MidFlap6.jpg
    MidFlap6.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 184
  • MidFlap5.jpg
    MidFlap5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like this idea for the salt in the winter, but I would just bolt it to the frame with two or even three hangers in a 3D triangle (trapezoidal) configuration.
You are putting a quite a bit of stress on the four bolts holding the running boards on.
The cab moves quite a lot on those big ass dampers.
Especially if you hit something, with it just bolted to the frame it will just bend backwards.

At least your not using too big of a flat bar it shouldn't rip out the running boards.
And if you manage to hit that bar way up there you'll be hitting the bracket for the running boards anyway.
Sorry for being a kill joy here, I'm just concerned for ya.

Last edited:

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I am dragging up an old thread here but, @Sano Dano How are you liking your midflaps? I was going to do this tomorrow or in the next few days while I am off from work. Do you think they are placed a little too far to the rear, or are they effective where they are? Just behind our front doors (as you probably know) is the frame support that Joker used on his. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the running board and using that bracket on the frame much like the SCAB guys have done. It is only maybe a 8-10" difference but if anything aesthetically it is more center of the truck. I am just curious if it is my OCD for symmetry taking over trying to rationalize drilling a new hole in the running board or if you are liking it as is.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been pleased with mine where they are so far. They do get a bit of buildup of mud and snow/slush that comes up onto the running boards through the slots a bit (after a lot of buildup of course), so the location is a bit better to avoid stepping on it or rubbing it as you get in and out of the truck. I am thinking of doing a mod to them to keep them from flapping and hitting the bottom of the truck when on the highway. Kind of like how semi trucks and trailers will have chains on them to stop them from going to far back. Thinking of trying a cable with eyelet bolts or something like that.

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I am dragging up an old thread here but, @Sano Dano How are you liking your midflaps? I was going to do this tomorrow or in the next few days while I am off from work. Do you think they are placed a little too far to the rear, or are they effective where they are? Just behind our front doors (as you probably know) is the frame support that Joker used on his. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the running board and using that bracket on the frame much like the SCAB guys have done. It is only maybe a 8-10" difference but if anything aesthetically it is more center of the truck. I am just curious if it is my OCD for symmetry taking over trying to rationalize drilling a new hole in the running board or if you are liking it as is.

Have them mounted more towards the rear to keep the debris off of the rear shocks, etc.
One thing I did do was cut them down to 13 1/2" overall due to them dragging on the ground.

Overall happy with the level of protection they provide.

Last edited: