My custom "minimalist" rear bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
With all the talk about the new bumper on the scene and the minmalist look, I figured I'd go ahead and show my rear bumper off. I put this on a few weeks ago, just in time for my Glamis trip. Now you could say that this has some ADD in it, it was made at their shop. The cool thing to me is that they let me come in and make it myself. (Don't think this is a deal offered to everyone else so don't call them and ask to build your own, lol) I had been in line to get a rear bumper from them but I didn't want one of the production ones they already make, I had this one in mind for a long time. They were super busy with SEMA builds and I was getting impatient because I wanted it for my Glamis trip and Roundup. So seeing as I am a mechanic with fab experience, I asked if I could come in after I got off work and do it myself....so Jared said have at it. It's really simple as you can see.....I wanted something tucked in and clean with not a whole lot going on. I wanted to do this without modifying the frame at all....it's alot like the front though in that the frame comes out and hangs down so far that your limited as to what can be done, so I had to work with what I had. I also wanted the angle on the fender corners but didn't want to cut so far forward that it would look weird with the stock bumper back on there. The way I cut the fenders, you wouldn't see the cuts if the stock bumper were ever put back on. It's held on with the same bolts that held the hitch receiver on, I just put some tack welds on them to keep them in place seeing as how they are completely boxed in and not accessible anymore. My original idea was to intergrate the hitch receiver into it and have the license plate on a flip up bracket that would hide it......I'm still going to do that but in a different way now. Light for the plate comes from these trick mounting bolts that are also a single LED light that shines down onto the plate. The gap between the top of the bumper and the rear of the truck bed is covered by a plate that is also dimple died. I think I got the basic look I was shooting for and it was cool to be able to do it myself....with some help here and there, lol. I probably could've done some other little things but hey, I was in a rush and excited, I think we all know that feeling.

2011-11-10160240.jpg
[/IMG]

2011-11-10160355.jpg
[/IMG]

2011-11-10160434.jpg
[/IMG]

2011-11-10160324.jpg
[/IMG]

2011-11-10160508.jpg
[/IMG]

2011-11-10160145.jpg
[/IMG]

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does look great!!!! Now ya got to see about getting the rear fenders to slope down to match the bumper... Very clean and nice... I love it!!!

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
It does look great!!!! Now ya got to see about getting the rear fenders to slope down to match the bumper... Very clean and nice... I love it!!!

Thankya! It may be the angle of the pics but I waited to mark the fenders for cutting till the bumper was done.....the angle of the cuts match the bumper exactly.........that was the part I was most **** about, lol.

So no more tow hitch?

No, not right now but I have a plan for that ;)

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sorry not digging it. looks funky where the bed indents inwards where the stock bumper used to be.

Is pretty cool you were able to build it yourself though.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It looks great! I just don't like the fact that you lose the factory recovery points but you did an excellent job