Input wanted: fiberglass and Line-x. Lots of Line-x.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AH424

Reaction score
I’ve been lurking around these forums since early 2013 when I bought my black SCREW but just recently became an official member. I’ve always consulted these forums before purchase major purchase decisions and modifications. I have searched the forums and can’t seem to find anything that addresses my new project concerns but I’m hoping you guys can help.

The Problem:
As much as I would like to imagine I live in the desert and get to use my truck for its intended purpose all the time, that’s unfortunately not a reality (right now). Most of the off-roading I do is not flying through the open desert- usually there are trees, narrow trails, brush, and branches involved. The width of the raptor adds to this concern and most of the time I go wheeling I collect a few dings and scratches on the fenders, hood and bedsides.

I have been trying to find a way to protect the truck when I take her off-road. I am usually good about buffing the minor scratches and scuffs but after a few years I have collected too many deep scratches on my bedsides and fenders. I did a bit of research and have started seriously considering Line-x as my best option.

I also have the added complication of 37” tires. Recently the stock BFG’s had to go and I upgraded to a 37” Cooper STT. I originally intended to keep the stock fenders and just tinker with the pinch welds to accommodate the larger size but I am getting some rubbing on the plastic rockers and I would ideally like to run SDHQ fiberglass fenders and bedsides . Boatec was my first choice but the availability has been a challenge, the customer support form SDHQ has been great, and a variety of other considerations (personal preferences mostly) have lead me to SDHQ glass fenders and bedsides.

Once I started considering a Line-X coating on the truck I realized fiberglass fenders are a possibility. Previously I ruled them out because the extra width meant more scratching and I didn't want to damage my brand new fiberglass.

The Solution:
I have decided the best way to address the concerns associated with 37” tire fitment, fix the current paint scratches and prevent future damage by replacing the stock fenders and bedsides with SDHQ fiberglass and getting the entire truck covered in Line-X platinum. I personally really like the look of the line-x and I think it will offer great protection. I have done a bit of research and I think line-x premium is my best option, and I have found a line-x dealer willing to help with the project.

In addition I have a font driver side door that does not match perfectly and drives me crazy. Pretty subtle- most people don’t notice- but I know it’s there so I see it every time. A ford dealer up in Cincinnati, Oh was doing routine maintenance and backed another F-150 into my door and the color has just always been off. If I’m going to spend the money to get this problem fixed I might as well fix it with line-x.

I think a fully line-x’ed raptor with glass on all four corners will look badass, in addition to solving my concerns with the 37” tires and protecting me from thick brush.

I’m looking for some input from the raptor community to help me think through the project. I know there are concerns I have not thought of and would love some advice/ tips. Even if the advice is in the form of a question it will help me think through the entire process.

I have spoken to a few other clients who have had their jeeps line-x’ed and one guy who had a Toyota tundra coated and they all say it holds up extremely well to scratches, brush and rocks and does not fade if you used the premium product (has a UV top coat) rather than the standard. I have also spoken with Jason at SDHQ about the fiberglass handling the added weight of the line-x and the line-x dealer about this issue and neither think it will be a problem. People often line-x the inside of the fiberglass fenders so weight shouldn’t be a huge concern. The line-x dealer said there is no problem bonding line-x to fiberglass and he has done a number of full body coatings without problems. In general it sounds like the full coating will add a little more than 100lbs which doesn’t seem ridiculous for a truck that is already 6200lbs.

I’m basically now just hoping to get some advice/ feedback before I get the finders shipped and start the project. Any input is appreciated!

AggieSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you've thought this one through quite a lot. If the line-x dealer says it's okay as well as SDHQ, I think you'd be in the clear. Personally, I've never seen a line-x'd raptor but I think it would be pretty sweet. I've seen some line-x'd jeeps and they seem to hold up very well. The only thing I would be concerned about would be resale of the truck and if you'll ever recover the cost of the line-x, but that's just me.

If you do it, be sure to post lots of pictures though! I'm really interested to see how that will turn out.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me you've done your research and have made up your mind. I say go for it, it sounds like it's what you really want, so why not?

Only thing I can think of, like the poster above said, is that it will be extremely tough to resale with linex. At least I would think it would be, but if you're planning on keeping the truck, then go for it.

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Theres a guy that comes out camping and froadin with us and his raptor is line-xd. I believe he owns a line x shop. Trucks looks badass. Let me get you his info as I do not believe he is a forum member.

Additionally my buddy has had 2 trucks done with rhino liner which is softer than line x and his has held up to years of abuse and sunlight.
I think youre going to be solid tho!

D

Deleted member 12951

Are you going to do black line-x or are you thinking of a different color? Wonder if they could do some type of graphic with different colors of line-x, that might look cool.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have blue color matched LineX platinum in the bed of my 2013 flame blue SCAB and I love the color but it marks more easily that I expected. I don't really use the truck as a work truck but I haul things at times and the surface of the lineX clear coat seems fragile to me. I haven't let it worry me but I think the regular LineX might have been more robust.

cdcalaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On f150fourm there is avguy who just did his 14 f150. Might want to contact him.

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is this costing? I thought about doing mine and will almost certainly do the camping trailer I'm working on.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've wanted to do the whole truck. I did the rockers on an older F150 and it looked great!

I did see a full body done on a new Tahoe - it was all tricked out and it looked awesome.

I wouldn't hesitate if you've made your mind up. The rockers on my 150 took a beating and never showed any marks - ever.

I think the difference with the marring in the bed verses the whole truck is that the bed is flat and takes all the force of an impact. You'd never intentionally throw anything against the side of truck - mostly just brush and small rocks and thats not going to hurt it.

Not sure which color you are thinking of, but if it was me I'd go lighter than darker. The stuff does absorb a lot of heat. In the summer it could get pretty hot in the sun. I like the look of the silver LineX. Especially if you could keep it a matt finish.

Anyway you go, make sure you do a thread. I'm interested as I'm sure others are. GOOD LUCK!!!!