Ford OEM Bed Extender Locking Pins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WareWolf

Reaction score
Just got my bed Extender and for the life of me don't understand why the Locking pin on each side is slightly out of alignment with the stowable Extender. Did some searches on here and Google and haven't had any luck.

I will probably take the truck to the service center unless anyone has any tricks.

Thanks

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

WareWolf

Reaction score
Just got my bed Extender and for the life of me don't understand why the Locking pin on each side is slightly out of alignment with the stowable Extender. Did some searches on here and Google and haven't had any luck.

I will probably take the truck to the service center unless anyone has any tricks.

Thanks

For more clarification, the pins don't fully align to the plastic flanges that the Locking pin should slide into against the truck bed. It also appears they are too right to push the pin all the way into if I remove the bolt and mess with it.

Also confused about the yellow bar that looked like it should fit into something when the Extender is in the outer configuration.

Here are a couple of pictures...

0e968ee60df50cafea0ca32673fd8600.jpg

6afa345a2b38115ccbcc0f7066903a5f.jpg

bc7e66b7c4d08cbdbb419bf803950ae6.jpg

OP
OP
W

WareWolf

Reaction score
your bed liner is blocking it.
Yeah, as I was taking the pictures, it looks like when it's in the "grocery" position, the extra cm or so from the bed liner is blocking the Extender from fully articulating. The little plastic feet are on the bed all screwy, so I might try to get them on better to see if that fixes it. As for why the pins don't actually push in when I unbolt it still baffles me. The flanges went in by hand with a firm push.

OP
OP
W

WareWolf

Reaction score
do the locks pins go in the hole, in the extended position?
They align, but the hole is too small to go in by hand strength. I haven't yet crawled in and pressed with my boot heal *gently*.

I think the little wings / threading on the flanges aren't fully compressed or something..

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya, it looks like your bed liner might be the reason it does sit correctly. I would grease the shit out of it and remove the rubber bumpers from the extenders. My tailgate does have a hole where the yellow rod fits in.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't have a hole for the rod on my tailgate either. I wound up drilling a hole myself. Also for the side pins I just used a drill bit that was a tiny bit bigger than the hole in the plastic grommet in the bedsides and reamed out the hole to make it a little bigger and the locks slide in and out much easier now.