Cargo Rail Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Begin Rant:

My Nissan Titan, which was designed by a woman, has EVERY possible stow-away compartment, channel, holder, assist, etc you can imagine...and their spray in bedliners have always done ok, and you can get many tonneau covers that work right around their factory installed in channel and IN BED cargo management system...it has everything...dividers, back racks, extenders, cleats, anchor points, racks, etc...and my 08 Sierra Denali, while not coming with it, was able to match Nissan 1 for 1 except for the In Bed part which GM does not do....but sadly my 14 Raptor has nothing...not even bed rail hooks....WTF....and I can't even buy any of it from Ford b/c apparently it's not made for the 5.5' beds....

End Rant....

PS...to the OP, great job doing something at least here...I just hate the thought of drilling through everything, and even though you were very careful to think out using the washers and stainless steel I worry about corrosion up here in the North East...especially where NH still uses salt in the winter....

richardhead84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this post back from the dead. First off I wanted to thank you Kaiser for this post it saved me a lot of money over getting a bed rack. Everything went smooth minus the fact I installed my rails backwards from how you have yours, thus making all my holes be in a different location. I only had 1 screw on each side end up dead center in a channel. Thankfully my lovely girlfriend with her small head and hands was able to squeeze between everything and with a wrench taped to an extension was able to get the nut secured to the screw. Thankfully she knows how to turn wrenches so she didn't gripe to much.

Here is my setup with the rails ready for TRR!

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 263

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to install these rails right now. I'm measuring 14.25" from the front of the bed to the front of the rail, but it still hits a channel. What is the spacing of the holes on your rails. I'm thinking they are machining these differently, or I got a different part number.

As always more pictures would help me solve my issues. I'm a visual learner...

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I'm trying to install these rails right now. I'm measuring 14.25" from the front of the bed to the front of the rail, but it still hits a channel. What is the spacing of the holes on your rails. I'm thinking they are machining these differently, or I got a different part number.

As always more pictures would help me solve my issues. I'm a visual learner...

Stewie. I have some of these on my truck. I'll snap a pic when I get home.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I had a hole that was over one of the hat channels, I just didn't put a bolt there. I just tried to optimize it so that was as few occurrences as possible. In fact, take a look at the first pic underneath the truck, you can see that the spacing would put a bolt hole right in the middle of that channel. I did not put a bolt there. If I would have used rivets, I could have put a rivet there, however.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Begin Rant:

My Nissan Titan, which was designed by a woman, has EVERY possible stow-away compartment, channel, holder, assist, etc you can imagine...and their spray in bedliners have always done ok, and you can get many tonneau covers that work right around their factory installed in channel and IN BED cargo management system...it has everything...dividers, back racks, extenders, cleats, anchor points, racks, etc...and my 08 Sierra Denali, while not coming with it, was able to match Nissan 1 for 1 except for the In Bed part which GM does not do....but sadly my 14 Raptor has nothing...not even bed rail hooks....WTF....and I can't even buy any of it from Ford b/c apparently it's not made for the 5.5' beds....

End Rant....

PS...to the OP, great job doing something at least here...I just hate the thought of drilling through everything, and even though you were very careful to think out using the washers and stainless steel I worry about corrosion up here in the North East...especially where NH still uses salt in the winter....

How hard would it be, for Ford, to put holes in the bed, and then install plastic/rubber plugs. Then the aftermarket companies could go hog wild with rails, cleats, racks, etc...?

Kaiser, Why not install stainless steel nutserts where you can't get access?

Attachments

• 1430518856504.jpg
    1430518856504.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Kaiser, Why not install stainless steel nutserts where you can't get access?
I didn't think missing a couple of bolts would matter on a 4' run.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I installed two of this kits, 4 cargo rails, it uses heavy duty backing plates.
I used washers, but backing plates are a good idea...

richardhead84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you try really hard you can get a bolt and a nut secured in that channel. Its a bit of pain and requires some innovation with tape and tools but I was able to get mine tightened down.