better door detent location mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGreatDew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked all over the site, but I have not been able to find an answer to my question.

Does this just change the door stop points or can it stop at any point? Not sure if you guys are familiar with the newer Mercedes S-class, but those will stop at any point. Just wondering if this would do the same for our doors?

"Door Detent 3.0 features a third 'Just Right' detent precision CNC-machined in the arm of a new
Genuine Ford Door Check Assembly."

If I had to guess I would say it actually adds a stop point in the middle of the two we already have

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Door Detent 3.0 features a third 'Just Right' detent precision CNC-machined in the arm of a new
Genuine Ford Door Check Assembly."

If I had to guess I would say it actually adds a stop point in the middle of the two we already have

thats exactly what it does. but i think it would be a nice feature. the first detent, shit, i cant even get outa my truck. having a middle one would at least provide that convenience in tight spaces without opening the door all the way and worrying about banging shit up. like my garage wall. and the door. and my fragile psyche

TheGreatDew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats exactly what it does. but i think it would be a nice feature. the first detent, shit, i cant even get outa my truck. having a middle one would at least provide that convenience in tight spaces without opening the door all the way and worrying about banging shit up. like my garage wall. and the door. and my fragile psyche

Oh I completely agree, I work in Philadelphia and am lucky enough to get to park in a garage everyday some of our spots are really tight. I'm thinking this would really help me out, I have a 98 f-150 at the moment(Raptor Incoming) and I try my best not to crack peoples cars. I usually end up opening the door slowly and resting it on their doors if need be, I feel bad about it but I figure its better than slamming into them....Plus they all park bad! lol

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just don't take my hand off the door while I step out onto the running board. I park next to a couple other trucks, and the space is tight, but if you control the door, there's no problem.

TheGreatDew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't take my hand off the door while I step out onto the running board. I park next to a couple other trucks, and the space is tight, but if you control the door, there's no problem.

Yeah for getting out of the drivers side that's great. I'm more interested for this on my passenger side. It's a little more tricky to hold open a door when youre pulling out your lunch box and tool bag lol

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i see what u guys are saying with YOU control the door the entire time. i am not worried about ME, i am worried about OTHERS in my truck. the doors takes some getting used to, and i know my wife kids and other passengers will just let the door open thinking its gonna stop. $90 is alot. hopefully when they make the rears they have a devent price for all 4

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i see what u guys are saying with YOU control the door the entire time. i am not worried about ME, i am worried about OTHERS in my truck. the doors takes some getting used to, and i know my wife kids and other passengers will just let the door open thinking its gonna stop. $90 is alot. hopefully when they make the rears they have a devent price for all 4

This has happened with my girlfriend quite a few times. Thank god there has been no damage. Yet.... I told her that I will be opening the doors from now on

1ntheoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked all over the site, but I have not been able to find an answer to my question.

Does this just change the door stop points or can it stop at any point? Not sure if you guys are familiar with the newer Mercedes S-class, but those will stop at any point. Just wondering if this would do the same for our doors?

it's an OEM assembly with a middle detent machined in. Works perfect and it was worth 90.00. I can't tell you how many near accidents I've had getting out of my truck with coffee in one hand and trying to "snake" out of the little opening to avoid door dinging my neighbor....lol

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
put em on today. $90 is alot but i thought it was a cool little mod, and i hadnt spent any dough on my truck for, i dont know, a few days now. pretty easy install except for replacing the plastic covers, especially the passenger side. on the drivers side you can lay on your back and visualize it, but the passenger side was a bitch. i finally took the kick panel off and it still was tricky. if anyone does this i would suggest just peeling the upper right corner of the passenger side cover back and seeing if you could kinda snake it thru there. should make tight parking spots a little easier if nothing else.

Last edited: