Shock Replacement vs Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agent_X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped my truck off at Ford this morning because my front right shock is leaking at 22k miles, IF and IF Ford decides they'll replace under warranty what is my down side (if any) of having one new shock and one used shock on the other side? Aside from having to have do the mid-perch again on the new shock will I have any regrets down the road of having it replaced rather than just going ahead and buying 3.0? I wanted to wait on 3.0 until I had more miles on the truck and it was time to replace/rebuild all shocks not just one.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped my truck off at Ford this morning because my front right shock is leaking at 22k miles, IF and IF Ford decides they'll replace under warranty what is my down side (if any) of having one new shock and one used shock on the other side? Aside from having to have do the mid-perch again on the new shock will I have any regrets down the road of having it replaced rather than just going ahead and buying 3.0? I wanted to wait on 3.0 until I had more miles on the truck and it was time to replace/rebuild all shocks not just one.

Just my two cents and personal experience. It would be better to just upgrade. I had mine "serviced" by ford but at this point just ended up ordering new shocks due to the fact the shocks are already worn out after a couple of months. (No off-roading done) it's really never too early to upgrade.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you run 3.0 front and stockers in the rear? Or will that **** shit up?

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure about that one....def can find used, fully rebuilt 3.0s for pretty cheap.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you run 3.0 front and stockers in the rear? Or will that **** shit up?

Really good question I would like to know the answer on this as well. I have seen them running like this but that doesn't mean it's right??

OP
OP
A

Agent_X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would definitely like to know if I can run stock rear and 3.0 front safely and without risking future break down or faster wear. And if so, who has any good used 3.0s? I'll take some good used ones before I buy new.

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should post a Want To Buy ad in the garage sale section

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get Ford to fix it for sure! If you upgrade later then you have a good set of fronts to sell or keep them for spares. At some point all theses shocks need a rebuild stock or aftermarket so you can use the stock stuff to drive around on while the after markets are out of the rebuild if you keep them once upgraded.

As for mixing of stock and after markets you will be fine interns of drivability on and off road. For medium to light duty off road its not an issue. Now if you really push the truck at high speed off road you will notice a big difference between the 2 and it could cause the handling to be funky. In the long run the mix match route for shocks is not ideal but can work for a while.