Everything you wanted to know about IWE and then some...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took my 2012 to a local Ford dealer for this issue. They claimed to have repaired it. However, it came back within 12 months of the repair. They are refusing to honor their warranty because they can't duplicate the front end grinding sound. This is the crux of my issue. The sound only seems to be there after driving the truck for extended periods at high speeds. Since I hadnt taken any long trips since the initial repair, I had no idea the problem was still there. Any suggestions on how to get the sound to duplicate so I can show the dealrship?
This is a really easy Problem to figure out your self. IMO . it is also an Equally easy problem to fix tour self.
Figure out the problem.
Start at the IWE
Pull the hoes on the Passengers side off IWE
Pull a vacuum in the larger of the two stub on IWE
20 LBS is fine let is set for 10 min a loss of 3-4 LBS/min is acceptable.
Repeat on drivers side
If one or both Fail replace the failed part. OR tell your dealer they failed they can recreate.
If they both Passed the test
Put the hose back on both IWE.
At the brake booster pull the line that leads down the IWE off the solenoid.
Again Pull vacuum to 20 LBS
Wait 10 min. I don't know what loss can be more than 4-6? It cant be gross.
if it is gross you will need lines.
If it holds. The solenoid is likely bad.
lets say The First check both IWE were bad But you want to see if the lines are bad also? on the IWE end instead of plugging them back into the IWE. Push a Golf T in the hose instead.(each side) then pull your vacuum.

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit​

This is 25 bucks^^^^ All you need to figure it out your self. and a pice of hose.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took my 2012 to a local Ford dealer for this issue. They claimed to have repaired it. However, it came back within 12 months of the repair. They are refusing to honor their warranty because they can't duplicate the front end grinding sound. This is the crux of my issue. The sound only seems to be there after driving the truck for extended periods at high speeds. Since I hadnt taken any long trips since the initial repair, I had no idea the problem was still there. Any suggestions on how to get the sound to duplicate so I can show the dealrship?
The replacement of the IWE. altho easy might no be for every one, but the Lines super easy. unless you take your truck to the dealer for a burnt out tail light. that easy. I start on the drivers side pop all the plastic clips until I get to the passengers side leave the line in there. thread the new line in start pushing in clips. plug in the IWE's. easy.

wyomingraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of good info here. I am glad I stumbled into it. Good clear instructions.
My 2014 with 40,000 miles makes a thumping kind of noise on the right side. Mostly when I am backing up. I notice it more when the weather is nice and the windows are down. Not very loud but my hearing is not like it used to be.