Are there better options for pads and rotors then OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
We've even got more than one back to back video to prove otherwise. I should have videoed mine as I was +/- a couple feet of Apollo Optics vid with no rear caliper upgrade (just Alcon pads).
awesome. Looking forward to seeing it

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome. Looking forward to seeing it
"We've" alludes to Raptor Forum

Even from our own vendor

I'm sure their are more than just a few of us who have used some metric (g meter etc) to measure actual results. However, this is JUST this kit, on this platform. Their are countless others. Every time a tire "slides" braking distance is increased. ABS was not originally designed to reduce braking distance. Only to maintain control under panic braking. What it has become in extreme exotic cars should not be compared to an F150. There IS room for improvement less someone throwing a cinder block at the horizontal pedal.

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

We’ve been using this kit with great luck. I run it on the rear of my gen 3 with wilwood fronts.

Our shop gen 2 has em in all 4 corners

Another shop gen 2 has drilled/slotted on all 4 corners plus stainless lines.

We have these available ready to ship and I can give promo discounts to forum members as well. Shoot me a message id be happy to help! We have stainless lines available for all 3 gen raptors as well

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"We've" alludes to Raptor Forum

Even from our own vendor

I'm sure their are more than just a few of us who have used some metric (g meter etc) to measure actual results. However, this is JUST this kit, on this platform. Their are countless others. Every time a tire "slides" braking distance is increased. ABS was not originally designed to reduce braking distance. Only to maintain control under panic braking. What it has become in extreme exotic cars should not be compared to an F150. There IS room for improvement less someone throwing a cinder block at the horizontal pedal.
Yes. If abs kicks in. You failed. That’s why I don’t think we need “more stopping power”. One can easily get the tires to “lock up” so there is plenty of grip.

Now. If I needed better modulation to keep from hitting the and threshold. I would replace the entire system.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Powerstop is junk IMO. They can market like nobody else though.

I'd buy OEM or Centric. The OEM pad is the best all around pad. You will give up something to gain someting else.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. If abs kicks in. You failed. That’s why I don’t think we need “more stopping power”. One can easily get the tires to “lock up” so there is plenty of grip.

Now. If I needed better modulation to keep from hitting the and threshold. I would replace the entire system.
I disagree, it is not easy to activate ABS in dry high traction conditions. Also factory brakes fade and fade fast.

If you are happy with factory brakes great, good on you. But those of us who have had situations where braking performance was subpar shouldn't be crucified. Unless you have been in such situations you might not understand.

Starbucks doesn't require exceptional brakes.

I have a brother in law with a 700 hp mustang, he doesn't understand how great brakes will make him "faster" and as such he doesn't understand why on track day he is constantly outside the top 10, yet has the most "power".

Braking power is highly under rated, but is one of the key factors in towing capacity.

CVP33

Reaction score
Bought my 2018 Raptor used and not entirely sure what pads are on the truck……..but they suck. Truck gathers speed like a sports car and then obeys the laws of physics with painfully long stops. Definitely upgrading pads first then if that doesn’t work…..new front brake kit.

Anyone try EBC yellow stuff pads. ~$106 for the front.

IMG_6017.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I disagree, it is not easy to activate ABS in dry high traction conditions. Also factory brakes fade and fade fast.

If you are happy with factory brakes great, good on you. But those of us who have had situations where braking performance was subpar shouldn't be crucified. Unless you have been in such situations you might not understand.

Starbucks doesn't require exceptional brakes.

I have a brother in law with a 700 hp mustang, he doesn't understand how great brakes will make him "faster" and as such he doesn't understand why on track day he is constantly outside the top 10, yet has the most "power".

Braking power is highly under rated, but is one of the key factors in towing capacity.
Agreed 100%. To drive fast you also have to stop fast.

The Raptor is one of very few Ford Performance vehicles that didnt get big brake kits and I think Ford to this day is dumb for that.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99% of Raptors are not beat on. Therefore 99% of their owners probably find the OEM brakes just fine. Nothing wrong with that for them. As Old-Raptor-guy, so eloquently put it, that doesn’t apply to everyone, and the fallacy that “if you can lock up the tires” you have enough brake is absolutely incorrect.