Zombiekiller's "Donkey" build up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlaynCA

Reaction score
Zombie killer, how are the body mounts holding up? video looked like they are getting as much of a workout as the front suspension...perhaps Innever paid them much attention as needed.

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yes hub centric just for the rear.

What’s your take on sending it to curry? And what all would you have done if sticking with 37-38s.

Thanks Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

these are what i was using before the currie.

https://wheeladaptersusa.com/collec...50-expedition-navigator-1?variant=24889245704

I think that as long as you aren't longing for a locker that you can engage at any speed, it is a good option and costs about half of a new rear axle from currie. add a Foutz skid and a lubelocker gasket on the widened rear and you'll be good to go.

I will also say that I didn't have any issues running the 1.5" hub-centric spacers. I beat the hell out of the truck and didn't see any cracks or issues when I took them off. if you're on the fence, just run the spacers until you get good enough at driving offroad that you want a full time or selectable locker. then pull the trigger on a new rear end.

I will forewarn you that if you go to a full-time locker, you'll never leave the truck in "D" while in Baja mode EVER again. The Ford shift strategy SUCKS and with a rear locker engaged, when the trans decides to shift mid-corner, the ass end swings around instantly, ( which is no bueno) and the rotation is extremely difficult to control smoothly.

Putting it into manual mode when in Baja mode ( with a locker) allows for way more predictability and control. ( at least for me and how I drive) Running in manual mode also happens to give you a degree of compression braking, which you don't get in "D" mode.

The bonus is that it is suuuuuuuper fun to do a controlled drift at 70-80 mph on long gradual sweepers. Makes for great pics too!

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@zombiekiller

Gonna seem like it’s not a big thing compared to all the other major mechanical changes on your beast of a build, but really curious how you mounted the light bar above your wind screen.

would love details and pics ... especially for how you routed the power cable into the cab. Weather proof?

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
@zombiekiller

Gonna seem like it’s not a big thing compared to all the other major mechanical changes on your beast of a build, but really curious how you mounted the light bar above your wind screen.

would love details and pics ... especially for how you routed the power cable into the cab. Weather proof?

texas motorworx designed their own tension mount brackets that attach inside the door jamb. They don't really advertise them, but they do have ample stock. As for how much for the brackets, if you buy the lightbar from them, they'll give you the brackets for free. If you arent buying the light bar from them, I'd expect about $250 or so.

I whomped around Baja for a little over 500 dirt miles at varying speeds up to about 115mph and it didn't budge a single millimeter.

the big bonus is that there is no drilling into the exterior of the truck, so no possibility for leaks and you'd never notice the holes if someone didn't point it out.

as for the wiring, I sheathed the harness that I made for the bar and used 4, 4" long squirts of black caulk along the windshield edges and held it in place with masking tape while it dried. The wiring then runs down the cowl just like A-pillar lighting.

It is completely removable and you don't notice where the brackets secure when it is off the truck.

I can't take more pics because my truck is at tmx in Dallas and I'm in New Orleans. If you call the shop, one of the guys can send you pics.

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
since a super duty is the most expensive raptor mod, i guess " tow rig" updates count too.

s39TGws.jpg

Should have the front bumper and lights finished up this week. Then I move on to comms, nav and some trailer mods. The full wagon train will be coming with me to Mexico a few times next year, so I need to get her ready.

So far she's gotten:

morimoto led headlights
60 gallon S&B tank
Carli 2.5" pintop kit with radius arms, full spring packs and airbags
raceline 17x9s with toyo MT 37x13.50s
backflip mx4
Amp steps
hypertech speedo programmer
dashcams
console vault
weathertech liners

I still need to install:
BPD 3rd brake light antenna mount
vhf
lowrance
svc bumper
4 x LP6s
2 x squadron pros
2 x s1s for chase lights
a pillar light brackets
and either a set of lp4s or a set of lp6s on the pillars

I also plan to build a chase rack for her that can be lifted out of the bed with all the gear on it with a forklift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I was able to get the LP6s, Squadrons, Front Bumper, Steering stabilizer, proeagle mount and spare tire mount installed on the tow pig. Kinda looks like an HD raptor now.

nVbIWT9.jpg

The Donkey is currently getting the shocks, coil-overs, and bump-stops reinstalled, the spindles modified to accommodate Alcon brakes, new McNeil bedsides, 2 replacement passenger side doors, and some other odds and ends.

Once the TMX fellas are done with it, I'm bringing it home to put a new VHF radio in it, Upgrade the lowrance to a 9", install Sparco Evo II QRTs, harnesses, some new window tint, and a few other things.

We'll see if I have time to get the one-piece done before the next ExO run in Feb. If not, the one-piece front end will have to wait until after the run, when the truck is also getting a full interior cage.

After the cage, the build portion of my adventure should be complete.

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess you could say it's getting pretty serious. This is one hell of a build.

You mentioned some significant power upgrades? You thinking of a 5.0 swap? There's at least 4 groups out there doing them now...