Zombiekiller's "Donkey" build up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
And. Is there a reason why you switched to the IWE eliminators? Vacuum hoses get in the way or vacuum hoses just being there and another small thing that can cause faults easily? Just curious really. Seriously doubt they will cause any issues that can be repeatable over time. Maybe add a tad more wear with them but “eliminating” the headache of having to repair or replace faulty vacuum issues could outweigh any such wear in the long run.

no way plastic and cast pot metal IWEs hold up to 40s and 650HP, which is where I'm headed.

plus its just another failure point and more spares that I'd have to carry.

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I haven’t researched the TORSEN LSD enough to understand how it works when in 4H. I’m an electronics nerd but did graduate with architectural and civil engineering degrees so have quite a bit of experience with mechanical engineering.

Do you know how it can do both without telling it when to slip and when not to slip if are in 4H. My understanding is when it’s in 4L it locks the dif but can’t really find anyone breaking down how it works in all the modes that can be selected which could or couldn’t change some of the slipping features.

in certain modes, the truck locks the rear dif electronically, but it automatically unlocks at 20 mph. I have a feeling that both rear wheels spinning at the same time at the same speed of 20 mph messes with the gyroscopic calculations when the tcm is making calculations and referencing wheel speed.

the torsen in the front is a more traditional mechanical LSD. the computer does not intervene.

The computer does play a fair amount with braking, brake bias and throttle manipulation as part of the stability control.

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no way plastic and cast pot metal IWEs hold up to 40s and 650HP, which is where I'm headed.

plus its just another failure point and more spares that I'd have to carry.

Ah! Had no idea were that cheaply made but had read about failures. Makes perfect sense!

Last edited:

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in certain modes, the truck locks the rear dif electronically, but it automatically unlocks at 20 mph. I have a feeling that both rear wheels spinning at the same time at the same speed of 20 mph messes with the gyroscopic calculations when the tcm is making calculations and referencing wheel speed.

the torsen in the front is a more traditional mechanical LSD. the computer does not intervene.

The computer does play a fair amount with braking, brake bias and throttle manipulation as part of the stability control.

Ok. Seems logical but the cpu will add braking to the fronts correct? Not totally independent if not gripping or moving like the acceleration should be?

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I've been following your thread on your build. It's amazing !

Thanks!

Getting ready to take her in for the latest round of upgrades in a little over a week.

the rear end was sitting way low after the last Baja run with ExO:

gTeewr6.jpg

So I replaced the sagged Deavers with Icons and put them on in configuration #3. ( with all the leaves) you can see from the pics that I picked up 5 1/2 inches of ride height in the rear. ( keep in mind the post-run pic was loaded with an additional 250 lbs of gear in the bed and another 150 lbs of gear in the back of the cab.)

I chopped the mounts for the XL80s off the bumper and removed them. I had some overheating issues on the run and didn't want to continue to fight it.

How she sits now:

tnSeKrF.jpg

Other upgrades include SPD adapters and downpipes, new tstat, sp542 plugs, switched to a volant intake with a donaldson filter, wraith offroad exhaust, full race throttle body spacer with dedicated line for the BOV and switched to different tote boxes for my tools and spares.

I still need to install the arb dual compressor and re-mount my fluid holders.

Then she goes to TMX for:

Currie F9 rear axle, 4" wider than stock, 10" ring gear, ARB, full float

Alcon Brakes

BFG KR3 40x12.50

60" Baja Designs Arc Racer On the Roof

extra hoop on the front bumper and fresh linex on the bumper

New bedside mounts

a few changes to the bed cage

Then after that, I'll bring her home to re-do the wiring for the lighting and accessories, darker window tint and a new wrap.

If the shocks need a rebuild before next trip, I'm going to have quick adjusters added.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Here's a few progress pics. No where close to done, just step one of about a million. measure 6 times, cut once and all that. The wheels are for mock-up purposes. The axle isnt installed all the way, and the brakes arent there yet, nor are the wheels from 1552.

I'm only posting these because i'm super excited and wanted to share.

EnsSgTP.jpg
0kIEpkC.jpg
r7jDufb.jpg

Oh and if you can find bob ross in the pics, you win the prize. ( yes, he's in there someplace.)

Last edited: