zero offset wheels cause paint chips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WannaRaptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those of you with zero offset wheels have problems with rocks flying off the tires and causing paint chips? I am stock currently, but I need to drive on a gravel road almost daily and every time I do that I have rocks flying off the stock tires in to the wheel wells and under the running boards. Thankfully I don't have any rock chips yet. That being said I was planning to switch to Method wheels and stock tires. Now I'm thinking the zero offset with stock tires may not be the best choice for these gravel roads. Do I swap tires to the General Grabber red logo 35", change wheels to something with a positive offset, or stop worrying about this because it's a non-issue?

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I'm stock and do a lot of high speed travel on gravel. I've chipped the hell out of the lower half of my doors because the BFG's are just the right size to grab the rocks on my roads. Even with the stock offset, these trucks sand blast the doors with road shit.

I need to get my tires switched out for some mudders asap.

And I refuse to put those gay-ass mud flaps on it.:supergay:

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with ^. I will not put mud flaps on and drive dirt roads a lot. If you are excessively worried about the rock chips, have the local tint company put the 3M clear bra tape on your rocker panels. I've seen that done and it looks decent.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
absolutely. mine are 9" 18mm offset and i had to install mud flaps to prevent road spray and snow from spraying my doors and rear fenders.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I have Zeros and I haven't had a problem with rock spray. I have a couple dirt roads I go down that are a few miles long and no issues. The stock tires don't pick up the rocks that much.

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And I refuse to put those gay-ass mud flaps on it.:supergay:

I felt the same way you did on the flaps but after spending close to 50k on this truck and seeing how exposed the under and sides of the truck were from overspray after a rainfall it made me think twice. As everyone knows by now like it or not the answer is the vortex size c mudflaps. They really really look stock on this truck. They match the trim and definitely match the hood vents and preserves your truck great. When you get done hand washing your truck and you accidentally hit a puddle its just your wheelwell that gets fouled not your whole quarter panel. It's a really cheap fix to a down the road expensive fix no doubt and really looks better than you think imo.

Last edited:

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I felt the same way you did on the flaps but after spending close to 50k on this truck and seeing how exposed the under and sides of the truck were from overspray after a rainfall it made me think twice. As everyone knows by now like it or not the answer is the vortex size c mudflaps. They really really look stock on this truck. They match the trim and definately match the hood vents and preserves your truck great. When you get done hand washing your truck and you accidentally hit a puddle its just your wheelwell that gets fouled not your whole quarter panel. It's a really cheap fix to a down the road expensive fix no doubt and really looks better than you think imo.

I kinda just said that to see if I could get a rise outa someone who has them. You handled that really well, 'Lanche. :waytogo:

Sgt Soynut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had problems with paint chips with stock wheels. I now have 1mm offset and mudflaps. They block 90% of the flying road crap. They look good enough to be OEM. I angled them out just a bit to help catch the edge grove on tire. back to using the stock BFG when i had the TOYO MT's i still used the flaps.

OP
OP
W

WannaRaptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had problems with paint chips with stock wheels. I now have 1mm offset and mudflaps. They block 90% of the flying road crap. They look good enough to be OEM. I angled them out just a bit to help catch the edge grove on tire. back to using the stock BFG when i had the TOYO MT's i still used the flaps.

got any photos of your mud flaps?