ZAK Oil Additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bMwdefector

Reaction score
The dealer is recommending I add ZAK oil additive to make the oil semi-synthetic. They do not offer full synthetic. I bought the maintenance service plan and this is a slight upcharge if I want it. I am curious if anyone has experience with it. Seach did not yield one result. I am likely going to decline it right now.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like snake oil, I'd pass too. They don't have full synthetic? Seriously? That's crap. I'd find a different dealer.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they recommend an additive, they're using the wrong oil and providing bad advice overall. Can you take that to another dealer for the servicing? If not, I would let them do the service, with oil you provide. There are a lot of good synthetic oils on the market, but I have used AMSOIL for fifteen years now and it has never once let me down.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/?zo=1678239

n2xlr8n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with several engineers in the lubricant business, endurance racing, etc.

All of them will tell you modern engines using synthetic oil 1) Do not require additives and 2) Additives can actually change the chemistry of the oil, making it LESS effective.

truckarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the dealer is trying to sell you stuff you don't really need. If they don't have a stock of synthetic oil, buy another brand like Amsoil, Royal Purple and Mobil1.