Your cake & eat it too/2012 wishlist and beyond

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Is this a joke? 2wd raptor for offroading in the desert? With what your describing I suggest to go buy a regular half ton 2wd truck and stay on road. Kinda defeats the purpose of being called an off road truck if it doesnt have 4x4 imo. On top of all that imo again, 4x4 is free in a backward sense. When you go to sell the truck how many buyers do you limit to wanting your truck if its 2x2. You open the door to the entire buying field and you get alot of your money back on resale concerning 4 wheel drive.
No this is not a joke. Your opinion about off roading may very well be very different than mine due to need's.
Where you live you may need 4wd on a regular basis, here very few offroad guys are looking for a 4wd because of several reasons.
1. being there are to many moving parts to break. More parts more problems.
2. You see very few 4wd's in the dezert so having the transfer case is only going to limit the potential buyers when time to sell.
3. Unless you are going down to Mexico you can find your way around having the NEED of 4wd.
4. Extra cost that's not needed
5. I've built several trucks and know lots of guys that have built trucks, and I can only think of 3-4 that 4wd

True, even trophy trucks are starting to run 4WD more now.
Not true.
Very few TT's are 4wd. In fact I can think of less than a handfull that are 4wd and that's not going to change anytime soon

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
But its more than there were a few years ago. The terrible herbst truck is 4WD. 2WD is great--until you get stuck. I've been on a couple of Baja trips and SCORE races, riding in a friend's 2WD. While the truck handles well and is surprisingly capable, not having 4WD at our disposal limited where we could go, and where we dared to try to go.

OP
OP
AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As Ace Ventura says "well allllllrightythen". Maybe some have few need for the 4x4. I do know I like to start out 4 wheeling in 2 so if I get stuck I can throw it in 4 and get out but you make some good points. Ha, whtrapta (this part is an edit) I typed this exact same line in when you did only you clicked post a second earlier than I. That was the first thing that came to mind is what if your out in the middle of nowhere and you get stuck in 2wd. It would suck.

Back on track I'd like to second the seatbelts only connected to the seats instead of the door idea. My kids love to race to get the front seat get buckled up first and then get unbuckled so the loser of the race is able to climb in back LoL.

Last edited:

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
But its more than there were a few years ago. The terrible herbst truck is 4WD. 2WD is great--until you get stuck. I've been on a couple of Baja trips and SCORE races, riding in a friend's 2WD. While the truck handles well and is surprisingly capable, not having 4WD at our disposal limited where we could go, and where we dared to try to go.
Nope, that's not true either. The only TT I can think that is running right now is Rod Hall's new TT built by Samco
Terrible Herbst no longer run that truck or the Truggy, both of them are sitting in Terrible Town hotel in Primm. Haven't raced them in 2-3 years now. All 3 of their new trucks are 2wd.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
AII,
Why would you want ford to build that truck? Just pony up and get a Raptor XT or buy an XLT and build what you want. You are someone who knows what you want and more importantly knows whats available. Do I buy a top of the line point and shoot to shoot a movie? Heck no, I order a body, lenses, support gear and turn it into exactly what I need which is always better than what you can find on a shelf.

My wish list would be...
-Ecoboost
-BiXenon HIDs
-Faster Tranny with rev-matched down shifts and paddle shift. Doesn't have to be dual clutch but that would be nice. Nissan has had rev-matching for 5 years on autos and now even offers it on MANUAL transmissions...
-Keyless/Push to start - again, something my 5 year old nissan had, you offer in cars, why not trucks? This isn't some fleet F150 your selling the gov't...

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
AII,
Why would you want ford to build that truck? Just pony up and get a Raptor XT or buy an XLT and build what you want. You are someone who knows what you want and more importantly knows whats available. Do I buy a top of the line point and shoot to shoot a movie? Heck no, I order a body, lenses, support gear and turn it into exactly what I need which is always better than what you can find on a shelf.

For a few reason's. When this truck was quietly being put together back in 05/06 (when ever it was) there was a lot of talk about it in the prerunner/racer's circle's and many of us got excited that we could buy a prerunner off the lot without having to cut them up and build it ourselves. Then we started hearing about all the electronics and 4wd that were attached to it and really killed the truck for a lot of guys that would have bought and used it to its to prerun in.

If you've ever been in the middle of the dezert in 100+ degree sun the last thing you want is the truck breaking down, even worse is if its a small electrical problem that you cant find. And when you start adding more electronic your asking for more things to go wrong, as well as more headaches that can go wrong that can't be diagnosed without a computer.
Although the XT will be a great truck for the price, I've already got the XT/XLT with my Sport Trac(don't know if you've seen what I'm building or not) so the Raptor XT wouldn't be use full to me.
My Prerunner: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f42/not-raptor-86/

Another reason is that I take trucks and cut them apart. I bought a 32K 07' Titan brand new, and within 15 day's and less than 250 miles on it I started cutting it apart(full fiberglass, front suspension, 35's, front and rear bumpers etc. etc. etc.), I now have over 16K into it and I love the truck, it can run with a Raptor in the dezert but it took a lot of work and $, but when it comes time to buy another truck I would like to buy a Raptor, pull the rear block and and drive it.

No need to cut it apart or spend a ton of $ on it to make it use able.
Now that's not for everyone, but I know they would sell thousands of them if you could get a based model Raptor
Whether or not Ford builds the truck I would like, I will still be ordering a Supercrew.

Last edited:

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A.I.I. i do like yours posts alot, and i get info and a look into an area i never been before! but i think your one of the wrong people to answer this thread.... i think your the niche group OF a niche group.... meaning that the small amount of us that are buying Raptors..... your in an even smaller group that love the concept of the Raptor, but it doesnt fully meet your interests and means.....

so, i just think your needs are way off for the general people buying Raptors... but i do still value alot of your input to this site very much!

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My biggest pet peeve on the Raptor the effing pig iron boat anchor between the front fenders. All aluminum and 500hp please. Eliminate ALL the BS Luxo options. With the option to cut down on luxury items you could save at least 500lbs.

OP
OP
AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My biggest pet peeve on the Raptor the effing pig iron boat anchor between the front fenders. All aluminum and 500hp please. Eliminate ALL the BS Luxo options. With the option to cut down on luxury items you could save at least 500lbs.

I agree with the option for less options too. In an economy such as the one we have now down optioning may open the door to some buyers forced to feed along the bottom scale also.