You never know when it's your time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holy crap. RIP and condolences to that family. I wish I could say I've never read of an outcome like that before. I've seen the similar aftermath of a hitch ball that broke with a strap hooked to it and looked like it was fired from a high-powered cannon at the truck being pulled. Scary stuff. Awful that his family was a witness.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i unfortunately heard about this a while back. soft shackles and a kinetic rope on the factory tow hooks. thats the proper way to get unstuck if you are going to be yanking someone out. that hitch probably weighs 6 or 7 lbs at the point it broke off.

emerald_nomad - RLTW

Reaction score
What is the proper way to pull to avoid ever having this happen?
There are several, but the "right" way is to use the proper equipment and above all be safe. I myself have taken a course or two where they've brought out the recovery boards, threw a damper over the steel cable line, set up 2 or 3 anchor points and let her rip! Some one else can chime in with other good solutions. (edit: and stay away from using your drop hitch as an anchor point)

This situation was extremely unfortunate and my condolences go out to the family

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No disrespect but I hear a lot of words here...

Someone please post photos of what is the proper way to tow and what materials to use. I've only had to slightly pull people out of sand, not mud.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't use a drop hitch for a recovery point for starters.
And you want the weakest link in the system to be light weight. And organize it so no heavy bits can fly into either vehicle if breakage happens.

But really the best way to avoid this situation is to stay between the curbs at the drive through ....