Yet another towing review...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And if you really want to do it rite, weigh the axles in the above post.

jgree32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.....
Thinking about selling my BMW 335i and buying a Raptor to pull a camper.

Would I be crazy trying to tow a 32' travel trailer 6700pounds 570lb tongue weight trailer? I figured even loaded it would be within 8k pound limit.
Seen youtube reviews of them doing the tow mpg test with 7200lbs.

Yes I know I know a regular 150 is more suited for towing but I'm just not the biggest fan of "normal" 150s. If I couldn't have a raptor I'd probably look at different brands I guess.

Thanks in advance

kenramp

Reaction score
I had a terrible sway problem the first time I towed with the Raptor. Boat, motor and trailer is around 6200 lbs. Took boat trailer to trailer shop and they adjusted the tongue weight to 425lbs from 305lbs by moving the axles back. Added air pressure to trailer tires, I was running them too low. Trailer tows perfect now,
Make sure you trailer is level or a little higher in the front. A weight distribution hitch will make a huge difference. Unfortunately I can't put one on a boat trailer according to manufacture. 585ee7e5ca56ea3ae767b9532eaed3fc.jpg49b85e9966c2118d3ef7222c39ff53c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

jgree32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not tow with a Raptor - not meant to do that.
Like at all, never?
I get it's not "meant" for it. Ford established that by rating it lower than normal 150s.
I guess i dont see the big deal if I'm staying within their guidelines.
For myself, I'd be towing less than 10% of the time. I want to enjoy the truck for the 90% of the time I'm driving not towing.

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like at all, never?
I get it's not "meant" for it. Ford established that by rating it lower than normal 150s.
For myself, I'd be towing less than 10% of the time. I want to enjoy the truck for the 90% of the time I'm driving not towing.

Ignore sasquatch. He's a troll.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Like at all, never?

You can tow, just don't expect it to be great. Your suspension was not meant to tow, so it will be marginal at best.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tow, just don't expect it to be great. Your suspension was not meant to tow, so it will be marginal at best.

May I ask what you have towed with your Gen 2 Raptor? I ask so the person who started this tread wanted info from owners who have toad with there Gen 2 Raptors. I have used mine to tow my 5000# tractor, on a 2500# trailer, over 20 times so far, without any issues what so ever, to add to that it is a 150 mile round trip. I have also towed a 24 foot camper with load levelers on it with out issues, no sag at all, and the trailer breaks work great. Yes this is a off road truck but it will pull just fine. Or it has been for me. Now if you would tell us about your personal issues with your Gen 2 towing issues and not something you read on the internet! Thanks!

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.....
Thinking about selling my BMW 335i and buying a Raptor to pull a camper.

Would I be crazy trying to tow a 32' travel trailer 6700pounds 570lb tongue weight trailer? I figured even loaded it would be within 8k pound limit.
Seen youtube reviews of them doing the tow mpg test with 7200lbs.

Yes I know I know a regular 150 is more suited for towing but I'm just not the biggest fan of "normal" 150s. If I couldn't have a raptor I'd probably look at different brands I guess.

Thanks in advance
I don't think you want to bump right against the tow rating on any vehicle, personally. Better to keep a 25% margin or so. Remember that the tow rating doesn't necessarily mean that you can tow that much at 80mph on the highway downhill in a crosswind. It really just means that you can get that load going and stop it. Some euro tow ratings, as an extreme example, are for a 50mph limit, which is why you sometimes see head-scratching tow ratings on Merc or BMW SUVs.

Again, my opinion, but to me for practical purposes the Raptor is more of a 6000lb tower than 8, if you're talking highway.