Yet another Supercharger thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am ready to order a supercharger for my Raptor. I have read (and reread) all the threads on superchargers and tried to digest as much as possible and the basic conclusion I get is:

1. The Whipple (can) make more power.
2. The Roush is quieter.
3. Other than that there really is no difference.

This system is going on to a stock motor and there will be no upgrading the motor (other than a Livernois oil pump) as I already went down that path with my last Supercharged F-150 and it was a PITA. I am going to be ordering from JDM regardless as they have been helpful with info but even they don't really push you to one system or another.

So my question is, if you are really not looking to modify the engine and increase boost from the stock JDM kits is there really a difference in what you pick??? Would I be essentially in exactly the same place with either kit other than the noise level from the supercharger? Is all else being equal Stock Roush Kit = Stock Whipple Kit?

Couple of notes:

1. I live in California with shit gas.
2. I spend a lot of time in Baja...also with shit gas.
3. I like reliability.
4. I like ease of maintenance.

Thanks for entertaining me on yet another supercharger thread.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts as you and went with the Roush. I've basically now pushed it to its limits after saying I wasn't going to. In hindsight I'd probably go with the larger displacement Whipple - though I'm happy with the Roush. I wound up having to do full headers after I cracked two exhaust manifolds and blew out a stock cat.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One difference is, the alternator is easy to replace on the roush and the whipple has to be removed to replace the alternator, so if you have high mileage, replace your alternator at the same time as your whipple install.

raptorbone

Reaction score
Every time I go to TRR, I see whipple-charged raptors throwing belts, likely due to the small pulley size. Do others find this to be true and common?

As reference, I have a whipple charged Coyote and this has never been an issue. In fact, the whipple runs and looks perfect.

Gearheadfmc

Reaction score
As with most Gearheads..... saying that "I only want a little more power......", soon, you may want MORE POWER! Go with the biggest and most upgradable blower right off the bat. Then, detune for the level of reliability you want. Turning up the ponies then becomes much easier and more cost effective.

That is what I did with my Shelby. I live in Cali also and yes ...... THE GASOLINE IS SHIT!

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple is CARB approved....CARB Executive Order Number: D-231-41.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2...tor-6-2l-whipple-black-2-9l-supercharger.html

https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-231-41

It doesn't say anything about Ford on there. Maybe reach out to Whipple before going that route... if you even care.

I read good thing about Whipple and liked that you can get more power out of them. I was thinking about selling my Roush and getting a Whipple, but ended up selling the truck instead.

I had the Roush on mine and liked it. It was fun. I had no issues with it. I would of liked more power, hence wanting the Whipple, but it probably needed some investment in some suspension work in the rear before adding more horsepower. I sold it before I got to any of that. Either way, it was a fun truck. I defiantly missed it when I got back into a stock Raptor.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really enjoy the Whipple noise. Only there when you are on it. Having ridden in a Roush truck it was nearly silent. There is a different feel between the two because of the noise. It seems like the Roush guys have a little trouble with their cooling, just because of where the HE is mounted. I am not sure if it is a problem on the Whipple trucks, you might poll some owners. If the Whipple HE is in a different location I would be inclined to go that route.

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I go to TRR, I see whipple-charged raptors throwing belts, likely due to the small pulley size. Do others find this to be true and common?

As reference, I have a whipple charged Coyote and this has never been an issue. In fact, the whipple runs and looks perfect.

eh, maybe if the belt is way to long or something. Tossing/shredding a belt is almost always an alignment issue but I've also seen it from a bad/weak tensioner. Snapping on and off the throttle will definitely exaggerate the issue. Perhaps the whipple is a little more difficult to align or easy to mix up spacers. I know getting everything lined up on my procharged mustang was a PITA