Yes! Finally back in a Gen 1!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been to the Gen 3 section lately? Its all about ceramic coatings and PPF, heated steering wheels and gas. LOL. This place has changed completely from generation to generation. The prices of the new raptor reflects that as well.
I think as the prices of new trucks have skyrocketed the market for the these trucks have shifted hard to those with "real" money. I bought my truck as a 24 year old new off the lot and I couldn't imagine doing the same with a new truck; I wouldn't be able to afford it. A ton of the GEN1 owners were in the same realm as me (mid to late 20s, early 30s) and as GEN2s came to be the age bracket shifted to the right even more... and now GEN3 even more so. Those with real money care more about protecting their investment then they do sending it. Also GEN1 Raptors were in the top third of cost and could be a reasonable alternative for some compared to the Platinum/King Ranch level of trucks.... GEN3 Raptor R is the most expensive F150 (dealer markup or not) and the "regular" GEN3 is near the top as well.

Not saying there aren't younger GEN3 owners and GEN3 owners that don't go from the dealer to the desert, but it seems like the niche Raptor owner of old is gone and now its status symbol Raptor owner.

I know I sound salty.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think as the prices of new trucks have skyrocketed the market for the these trucks have shifted hard to those with "real" money. I bought my truck as a 24 year old new off the lot and I couldn't imagine doing the same with a new truck; I wouldn't be able to afford it. A ton of the GEN1 owners were in the same realm as me (mid to late 20s, early 30s) and as GEN2s came to be the age bracket shifted to the right even more... and now GEN3 even more so. Those with real money care more about protecting their investment then they do sending it. Also GEN1 Raptors were in the top third of cost and could be a reasonable alternative for some compared to the Platinum/King Ranch level of trucks.... GEN3 Raptor R is the most expensive F150 (dealer markup or not) and the "regular" GEN3 is near the top as well.

Not saying there aren't younger GEN3 owners and GEN3 owners that don't go from the dealer to the desert, but it seems like the niche Raptor owner of old is gone and now its status symbol Raptor owner.

I know I sound salty.
You dont sound salty at all and **** anyone that thinks you are. I believe the same thing. Writing was on the wall when Ford brought in the supercrew raptor with the GEN1 truck. It brought in a different type of person. GEN2 was when they really started pouring in and GEN3 is a lost cause. Its nothing but a perceived status symbol. Ford is no longer catering to truck guys or off-roaders. Its about how much BS can they cram into a truck to get the attention of the deep-pocketed consumers that can afford a $90K+ truck.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont sound salty at all and **** anyone that thinks you are. I believe the same thing. Writing was on the wall when Ford brought in the supercrew raptor with the GEN1 truck. It brought in a different type of person. GEN2 was when they really started pouring in and GEN3 is a lost cause. Its nothing but a perceived status symbol. Ford is no longer catering to truck guys or off-roaders. Its about how much BS can they cram into a truck to get the attention of the deep-pocketed consumers that can afford a $90K+ truck.

I only added that qualifier because I know someone is gonna stumble upon this and get butthurt. If you're on a forum for the vehicle you own, you're already in a pretty small, very passionate group of of owners.

I will disagree on one thing; Ford is still catering to truck guys and off-roaders (look at the Bronco!) but they've strayed so far away from the original goal of 40k truck that you could drive from the dealership to the desert and have fun WITH a factory warranty. They've just lost sight of WHO their market is. I know plenty of people who will buy a 100k truck as a status symbol because its a 100k truck... unfortunately thats the Raptor now. Its the new G-Wagon.

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been to the Gen 3 section lately? Its all about ceramic coatings and PPF, heated steering wheels and gas. LOL. This place has changed completely from generation to generation. The prices of the new raptor reflects that as well.

I know I sound salty.

As an OG Raptor guy, you guys are 100% correct. The purpose and truck have been diluted. Back in the early days, it was all about actually offroading your Raptor and 4x4 mods, now as @Stingray23 said, it's all about tech upgrades, PPF and 20" wheels. Kinda similar to the progression of the Hummer. I recall daily posts here of guys posting mud, snow and air shots and that is gone. It's sad but it happens to lots of vehicles over the generations. Hell, I still remember when GM marketed the C7 Vette by stating you can carry two sets of golf clubs in the hatch...

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can appreciate the technology of the GEN2/3 with all the luxury items and straight line performance but I wish they offered more of a base package. I remember when Mitsubishi offered the EVO RS for the hardcore enthusiast that just wanted a street legal car for the track. Not that an EVO was ever fancy but they basically gave you the EVO performance with Recaro's and nothing else. No radio, AC was an option and they even had manual windows for a 25% discount off the top trim. Not that I want that base of truck but if the GEN3 was offered in the equivalent of an XL/XLT F150 with a 7.3 that would be fantastic. No screens, no moonroof, cloth seats, solid back window I'd be sold. Oh, and offer a SCAB.

Here's to dreaming :cheers::cheers:

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Because... it’s not like the “OG” crew and other Jen Juan Raptor owners have ever complained about fuel economy, AMIRITE?

One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Only for the last 12 years.

I know I sound salty.
Legit. huge price increase from Jens Juan, Too and Tres, basically pricing out the aspiring enthusiast, and relegating them to the used Taco market.

Seriously, Ford left that consumer market behind, apparently preferring the ’status symbol’ customer base.
I can appreciate the technology of the GEN2/3 with all the luxury items and straight line performance but I wish they offered more of a base package.
THIS.

Realistically, Jen Too has spoiled me on tech and I’d probably buy up, but, I remember when I was younger, scrounging for decent rides.
Ford’s going to f around and find themselves the exclusive seller of trucks to the HD riding, OFWG crowd.