GEN 2 Yes, another extended warranty question...with bonus engine issues thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REDRAGN

Reaction score
First my question, then some context.

Looking at a possible purchase of the Ford ESP Powertrain Care 3 year 60k mile plan ($2,660) from my local dealer for my 2018 with 58,200 miles. Called Flood Ford (ect.) said they do not offer plans for my year/mileage and said only my dealer can sell me this plan. What I want is solid powertrain coverage...this plan is sold by my Ford dealer and is a Ford product...is it solid? Any tricky catches? I do all my own service work is that an issue?

Long History:

I purchased this truck from a Ford dealer in 2020 for $48k as a factory buyback truck (non branded title) with 30k miles and lots of factory warranty remaining. Looked over all the paperwork and felt comfortable due to the buyback being engine issues and not any electrical demons. Plus it was 10k cheaper than market price at the time so the risk was calculated.

The truck had received a new drivers side head just prior to my purchase. 2k miles later I have the valve cover TSB performed and 4k miles later the engine let go and I received a new short block and passenger side head along with all the other mis parts required for the shop to assemble/install. So basically a completely fresh engine minus turbos ect.

Since the install I have logged approximately 24k miles on the engine and it continues to use a bit of coolant, has a coolant smell after drives, and often puffs very light and small amounts of black or white smoke at startups. Since I am under factory powertrain warranty currently, It is in the shop seeking a diagnosis. This is the second time since the new engine I have taken it in. The first, they diagnosed a leaking thermostat housing and repaired. That was around 10k miles ago.

My fear is what happens in roughly 1800 miles when no warranty remains? There are no mods to the truck and I use it for occasionally towing so it lives a fairly easy life with very regular services.

I can either purchase this Ford warranty from the dealer if its a solid plan...or just take the risk and know I have 10k initial savings I could use for repair costs.

Obviously this is asking for personal judgement calls from the internet, but I appreciate any real-world intel and advice.

Here are some pics to spice up this boring read!

Line-x on the flares and front bumper

3DPumzTagUTcTEKT-4JzV17ZpA=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Home garage setup

ch7aXG_L04NDfakDM7f111j3OQ=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hmm... I think you have what @FordTechOne calls “workmanship issues” left over from the last engine overhaul. coolant smell and usage are not positive indicators. Although the stealership svc. dept will warranty repairs for a period of time, what happens if you’re traveling?

If this vehicle is one you need for commuting duty, possible vacation duty or anything not recreational, I’d strongly consider the extra coverage. Once the stealership is done with it, I’d take it to an independent wrench, spend some money and have the truck thoroughly gone over, test driven and evaluated. Let someone objective take a look and see what they think. These guys have solid local reputations because they don’t BS their customer base, and make their living helping out the locals, not warranty repairs with a certain time allocation. That would be instructive in whether or not to spend the extra $$$ on warranty coverage.

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

Reaction score
Hmm... I think you have what @FordTechOne calls “workmanship issues” left over from the last engine overhaul. coolant smell and usage are not positive indicators. Although the stealership svc. dept will warranty repairs for a period of time, what happens if you’re traveling?

If this vehicle is one you need for commuting duty, possible vacation duty or anything not recreational, I’d strongly consider the extra coverage. Once the stealership is done with it, I’d take it to an independent wrench, spend some money and have the truck thoroughly gone over, test driven and evaluated. Let someone objective take a look and see what they think. These guys have solid local reputations because they don’t BS their customer base, and make their living helping out the locals, not warranty repairs with a certain time allocation. That would be instructive in whether or not to spend the extra $$$ on warranty coverage.

That's great advice. It is my daily driver/family hauler so it does need to be available and reliable. I guess I need to find out how my local Independent Ford Guru is for a checkup!

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the plan you're looking at add 3 years and 60k miles? I assume the 3 years is correct, but most of the time the mileage is listed as total vehicle mileage

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

Reaction score
Does the plan you're looking at add 3 years and 60k miles? I assume the 3 years is correct, but most of the time the mileage is listed as total vehicle mileage
Correct. I double and triple checked due to reading lots of warranty thread discussions on here...it adds 3 years and/or 60k miles from the current vehicle mileage and date of warranty purchase.

T

teeoster

Ford wouldn't pay for a new front wheel bearing under their extended powertrain warrenty.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even though the warranty expires you are still covered. ford covered my transmission issue and replaced my transmission. i have no warranty on the truck, however ford warranty is 1 year from the date of service. so one year from whenever you got the motor done, even if the warranty expired, you should still be covered. but depending on the price of the warranty, and with the history of the truck, should (and will) determine if you purchase the warranty or not.

T

teeoster

even though the warranty expires you are still covered. ford covered my transmission issue and replaced my transmission. i have no warranty on the truck, however ford warranty is 1 year from the date of service. so one year from whenever you got the motor done, even if the warranty expired, you should still be covered. but depending on the price of the warranty, and with the history of the truck, should (and will) determine if you purchase the warranty or not.
Well said

OP
OP
REDRAGN

REDRAGN

Reaction score
Well I just got the truck back from the delaership...my service advisor was out taking care of her child so they couldn't even tell me what had done to it?! I need to call her tomorrow to find out.

Here is what I found on my initial inspection...

Crushed the rear of my skidplate and scratched the paint off the frame on the lift...again. Second pic is the other side where I beat it back out with a hammer and sprayed over the missing paint. Yes this is super picky on my part but seriously guys?

sNjusPBJJZ0wPR__MUgx6TfKLA=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

cuavOH2X3e8agQxuDMyABjNMRQ=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

When I took it in the coolant resivoir was a tad below the MIN line. Its definitely topped off now...is green coolant even a thing in a Raptor now? At this point I'm pretty sure the truck is a mix of green, gold, and orange coolants.

znwICYyL8UzmjYIQyQNNkjgq8A=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

_Q3twpgZRtsW4Jb6-YKhbWPp3w=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Additionally, they may have installed a thermostat due to some super shiny and unmarred housing bolts? Looks new. But I know they did one last time it was in for this complaint so I cant be sure. Plus in the foreground of the pic it looks like a hose support clip is broken and the hose is no longer supported.

o-xw3__7acajLXtXXeGhhsGlrQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

And just overall sloppy work with coolant everywhere...hard to tell if a complaint of smelling coolant is fixed when coolant is spilled all over and everything smells like it! Yes, I will clean it all up but its just a possible indication of what y'all said @FordTechOne says is "workmanship issues."

_OpmYSz8vuzPCv732mO5TkarTQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

GvV2fFNail74dOtZFvhRb4ze3A=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

I'll be interested to see what the service advisor says tomorrow.