Yakima tonneau adapter kit damage solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jenner1

Reaction score
Im sure most people are aware now of the issues with installing the Yakima tonneau kit adapter and the damages it can cause to the tracks on tonneau covers from retrax, roll n lock etc. The problem is basically from a void space left between the top of the track and the bottom of the adapter causing the track edges to bend up over time ruining the track rails. The problem is also made worse by the narrow track bolts supplied with the kit causing more stress on the inner edges of the track. Yakima has updated the new kits with wider t slot bolts to spread out the load across the track but with prolonged use the damage will still occur. Another issue with the kit they offer is that it removes the quick connect pockets from the system not allowing easy removal and reinstall of the rack without sliding the system back out of the tracks.

Picture of the damage that can be caused to the track
23558943-366A-4069-B9D9-F514DBDA99C5.jpeg

I figured I didn't want to risk damage to the tracks due to poor engineering so I designed my own adapter units that retain the original quick connect pockets. These are made from 1/4” t6 plate and 3”x1” t6 tubing. I also ordered the widest t slot bolts that will slide into the tracks. These will bolt onto the tracks leaving zero void space between the bottom of the adapter and the top of the track so it is just forcing two flat surfaces of aluminum together instead of forcing the track to bend upwards Into the rubber and void space in the yakima kit. No welding required and I just cut out the pieces and bolted them together. Not the cleanest look currently but I have ordered plastic caps for the ends of the tubing and will have these bead blasted and powder coated after I‘m sure no other modifications are required.

After the install the rack is definitely way more sold than with the tonneau adapter kit. Quite easy to make and only about $60 in materials.

EB5AE920-D7A4-4A57-A55C-7423130BCF68.jpeg60C1E0FF-B7AF-4FFC-BBE7-63B4EC06C0F4.jpegD34BB91F-1DAE-4511-B6F7-58459C160753.jpeg71C18362-6ED5-4921-9667-936E7D76200F.jpeg