Yakima Overhaul HD with tonneau questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jenner1

Reaction score
This will be a bit long winded but I'm hoping someone might have tried the combo before.

I currently have the Yakima overhaul hd rack system installed as well as a decked drawer tool box. I am wanting to add a roll up hard shell tonneau cover to the system and according to Yakimas website there are only 2 options that will work, the Retrax xr and the Pace Edwards Ultragroove.

The Retrax wont work due to the canister depth being around 12 inches and the depth to the top of the drawer box is 9.5"

The Pace edwards canister depth is 9.4" so this would work perfectly but there is a note on Yakimas website that it wont work with the Pace Edwards Ultragroove on 2004+ f150, it leaves no indication as to why it wont work. When you look at Ultragroove for a GMC 1500 it is identical other than the dimensions being slightly different.

Has anyone tried this system at all on a newer f150 or know why it will not fit? I dont mind making modifications to get the system to work. Seems really strange that they state it wont fit since the design is the same with the bases just mounting into t-slots and the width of the rack being completely adjustable.

Any other options are welcome as well but I will definitely be keeping the toolbox as well as the rack if nothing is compatible with it for a tonneau.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP. Yakima has a dedicated fit team as well as an OE supplier relationship with Ford. I would believe that they speak from a place of knowledge and experience.

Yakima has a consumer line that you can call. They can likely add light to your question.

Good luck with your quest.

OP
OP
J

Jenner1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I sent Yakima an email about a week ago but no reply yet. I’m sure there must be a reason it won’t work but I’ll see what they come back with. If the issue is just getting custom bolts machined for the t-slots or machining some type of spacer plate it would be an easy mod to make everything work, I would have already ordered the retrax if the canister wasn’t as deep.

Tellum

Reaction score
I have the HD overhaul system. Mine is paired with a Roll N Lock. The only drawback to that system is that I needed the yakima tonneau 2 adapter. They were out of stock on it for a very long time and I had to wait but now that I have it, it's immaculate! I also had a hiccup when purchasing the HD bars. I ended up getting the wrong length so I have an extra set of those. But you live and you learn. I went with that cover because it has the shortest canister on the market. I need it to work with a bed slide.

OP
OP
J

Jenner1

Reaction score
Just had a look and I’ll be ordering the cover in the next few days. Was looking on yakimas website and they only list the ’ tonneau kit 1 ‘ and have no listing for the tonneau kit 2 adapter. I also searched online and couldn’t find any info. Are you sure you have the tonneau kit 2 adapter?